News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DRolo's Twin Peaks - some questions

Started by AntKnee, March 27, 2017, 09:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I'm not sure I understand how to wire the tap switch and tap LED. See the attach image for reference. Correct me if I am wrong...

1. The two lugs of the tap switch go to tap LED cathode and the "tap switch" pad?
2. The tap LED annode goes to the "Tap Led +" pad and the cathode goes to the tap switch?
3. The "ret" and "snd" pads are for an optional loop, or are they meant for some other purpose?
4. This image IC2 (U2) is labeled as NE5532, but the build doc parts list calls for LM358. I didn't think it mattered, but wanted to check.
5. The build doc calls for an LED with 2v forward voltage. How do you measure this?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

BrianS

1.  Switch wiring is ground goes to one lug and tap switch to the other. 
2. LED long leg goes to tap led pad and the short leg is hooked to the ground on the switch.

I believe David has started doing what follows on all his new boards because I had the same question on his Molecular board.
3. Send is the circuit input and receive is the output.  The in/out pads on the bottom are the same as the ones on top so you do not have to run wire from your 3pdt from the switch to the top.
4. Not sure.  I'm sure David will respond to this if someone else doesn't answer.
5.  There are a lot of examples if you google it.  I trusted that the one I bought with those specs was right.

AntKnee

I understand the identical in/outs, but what is the difference between in/out and send/receive?

BrianS

Think of the in/outs on the board as the connections going from your 3pdt switch to your input/output jacks.  I hope this will clear it up for you.

9.  6.  3.  (3pdt lugs)
8.  5.  2
7.  4.  1

If you're using the Madbean wiring diagram then the send (circuit input) would go to lug 5.  Receive (circuit output) would go to lug 7.  Your in pad bottom will go to lug 4 and your out pad bottom will go to lug 8.  Then your in pad at top will go to in jack and the top out to out jack.

Here's the link to the switch wiring tutorial if you don't have it.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/index.html

I wasnt trying to spell all this out but I was having a hard time figuring out how to say it.  Like I said I was confused when I saw it on the Molecular board and had the send/receive backwards when I asked the question. 

AntKnee

So it puts the pcb between the jack and switch?

Input jack > pcb in > send > 3pdt
Then...
3pdt > return > pcb out > output jack

I assume it's to help clean up wiring, but I'd much rather cut out the middle man and have a typical direct connection from jack to switch.

Thanks for the help, BrianS

drolo

Quote from: AntKnee on March 28, 2017, 04:27:54 AM
So it puts the pcb between the jack and switch?

Input jack > pcb in > send > 3pdt
Then...
3pdt > return > pcb out > output jack

I assume it's to help clean up wiring, but I'd much rather cut out the middle man and have a typical direct connection from jack to switch.

Thanks for the help, BrianS
Yep that's correct. My wiring skills are horrible so I like to wire the jacks like that, but you can indeed just ignore these connections and go directly to your switch from the jacks.