News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Substitute ma856 diodes for a king of tone build?

Started by Guava, March 28, 2017, 01:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guava

Looking at some ebay diodes for my Queen of Bone board from Rullywow.  I know ma856 diodes are hard to find and have read that ma858s make a decent replacement.  The ma858 datasheet also has them listed as ma2c858.

This leads me to my question.  Found these on ebay, but they don't look like the other pictures of these diodes I've seen (orange with two yellow stripes).  Does anybody have thoughts on whether these are fakes?  I'm guessing they are, but maybe somebody with more experience knows something I don't?  I'm all about getting "the goods!" for $1.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302230078202?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

midwayfair

Literally any other silicon diode. The Fv difference is like 10% higher than a typical 1n4148, and Fv doesn't make a difference that a gain adjustment doesn't also make*. If you want to mimic it, turn the gain down and the volume up. If you don't believe me or want to cobble something more authentic together, put a 1N5817 in series with a 1N4001 and you'll have a diode whose Fv, on my multimeter at least, matches the original's.

*Merlin Blencowe scoped and graphed the proof in a DYstompboxes post. EDIT: except germanium for ... reasons.

Guava

thesmokingman

used a fluke true rms meter and I believe they came in all of 100mv higher in Vf than 1n4148 ... and I'm thinking something of 1.6V of Vf for the series pair. Plenty of ways to get there that don't include breaking the bank.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX