News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Doppelganger 2.1d ticking

Started by Guava, March 08, 2017, 03:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guava

I finally got my Doppelganger together and it sounds FANTASTIC.  Except for a bit of ticking.  I've read about trouble with LFO ticking on other pedals and that this particular design isn't supposed to have that issue, so I'm wondering what I need to change about mine.  I used shielded 28awg guitar wire to the output and grounded it to the sleeve.

Should I use shielded wire for the wires to the switched jacks?  Should I change TL072s to TL062s?

Also, is 28 awg sturdy enough?  I used this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321098407221?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or does anybody have ideas on what I might be doing wrong here?

alanp

Number one problem, the expression jacks, with their lovely LFO signals, are jumping up and down right next to your input jack.

To check this, unscrew them from the case, and test the pedal with the jacks far, far away from that part of the pedal.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Guava

Hey Alan,

Wow, good call!  That was it.

What are my options now?  I already have the enclosure finished, so I'm hoping I can do something besides moving the jacks.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Guava on March 08, 2017, 03:38:08 PM
What are my options now?  I already have the enclosure finished, so I'm hoping I can do something besides moving the jacks.

If I may make a suggestion....

Go the juansolo route and get an enclosed input jack and wrap it in foil tape. This way you can shield it AND you won't have to relocate the jack all together. Worth trying first.

Guava

That sounds better than my idea of just leaving the expression switches in as dummies and jumpering their pads.  I'll have to order an enclosed jack and give this a shot.

Guava

I haven't ordered an input jack yet, but I received some more shielded wire yesterday.  Figure since I already have it, I'll try it first.  Do I ground the shielding to the sleeves of the switched jacks?