News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Discuss your 2017 home recording setup

Started by madbean, February 14, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Been a couple years since the last DAW thread so what's everyone using now?

Here's what I am using
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
6-core Intel (water-cooled and super quiet) w/16GB of RAM, 500GB SSD
Tascam active monitors
Furman power conditioner
Reaper,  FL Studio
E-Mu X-Board (decent 61-key midi controller I got for cheap)
For plugins, I'm using mostly free VSTs I got through KVR and ones included with the recording software. I did purchase, and use, these: Addictive Drums, Amplitube and Waves Gold. A bit spendy but I got them all during holiday sales over the years...lots of fun to use.

Want list: Cubase, Korg Monologue, maybe Kontakt. Interested in getting into writing some simple orchestra cues for fun but I lack a good library for it. My Focusrite doesn't have dedicated midi I/O so maybe I will upgrade that someday. Midi over USB seems to work okay for now.

What I used for almost a decade: Tascam 4-track, Alesis HR-16 drum machine and a Shure SM57! The thing I've found is that even though I have 100 times the capability now than I did 15 years ago, it's harder to be productive. When I was just using a 4-track and drum machine there were no distractions. The hardware was limited in what it could do and I just worked within that. Now the learning curve is so much steeper and there are too many toys to play with!

jkokura

It might have been a couple years, but I don't think much of my setup has changed!

Here's what I'm using
- Presonus Audiobox 44 VSL
- 2012 Macbook Pro 13" (8gb ram)
- Event TR6 monitors (powered, and awesome)
- Studio One Pro (currently v3)
- I have an M-Audio keyrig49, and a Nektar Impact LX61 for midi keyboards
- I use the plugins that came with Studio One, because they're great, but I also have Komplete 10, and Slate Drums with the Blackbird kits
- Mics: Audio Technica At4040 x2, AT4041, Byerdynamic M201, Beyerdynamic M88, Cascade Fathead, Shure SM58

Want list: I'm really interested in the new Presonus Faderport 8. I won't need it until I have a big project to mix, but I'm seriously contemplating it. I am also hoping to one day upgrade my interface. I'm probably going to go with the Presonus Studio 192, which will work seamlessly with the setup I'm currently using.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Muadzin

So far I've mostly used the USB out of my Axe FX into Cubase, but I recently got a Behringer Xair XR18 digital mixer which also can act as a 16 channel input interface. It should make things more interesting. ;)

For mixing I use Cubase and Audobe Audition, into a Phonic AM4420 mixer. All my devices, guitar, keyboards, CD player, all my computers all go into this mixer. My normal stereo and speaker set get their input from this mixer, my active monitor speakers get their input from this mixer and my regular PC speaker set get their input from this mixer.   

Freppo

Fun thread :)

I have built up a pretty decent home recording studio over the years. It has taken me about 17 years to get where I am now.
It's still a hobby mostly through. I only do a few recordings each year, and I rarely do anything to promote my studio.

DAW: Reaper (I used Cubase for a few years, but Reaper has a far superior workflow IMO, at least if not using MIDI much)
Soundcard/converter: RME HDSP 9652 (PCI soundcard with 24 in/out through ADAT interface) + SSL Alpha Link converter
Preamps/mixer: Soundtracs CM4400 mixer (analog mixer from the 80's), a few outboard preamps (Classic API, Daking, Great River ect.)
Outboard: A few compressors (DBX, Lindell Audio, FMR Audio ect. nothing high end) and effects (Yamaha, Roland ect.)
Mics: Nothing special. A bunch of classic dynamic mics (SM57, SM7, M201, MD421, MD441 ect) and a few cheap condensers
Speakers: Neumann KH120 a pair of cheap Behritones
Reel to Reel: Tascam MSR-24 (not used very often)
Plugins: Mostly cheap stuff from Klanghelm, Toneboosters, SK Note, Sonimus ect, and a few more expensive Soundtoys plugs (love the decapitator plug)
Instruments and amps ect: Too many to mention :)

For a few years (a long time ago) I was living off a social welfare program (because I have this cronic stomach disease that was hindering me from working) and the studio was set up in my brothers house (I could never afford to pay him rent). He used to joke that I was a parasite on the society and him... so we joked about the name Parasit Studio and it stuck (but I never really liked the name). :P

Wish list: A good snare and a good bass

Nowadays I'm pretty happy with my studio and have and I rarely buy new studio gear, and when I do it's mostly instruments, drum stuff or amplifiers.
I used to hang around gearslutz and other recording forums, but I realized that it makes my GAS go through the roof, which is bad for my economy/relationship :P
There's also alot of misinformation, bad attitude and biased salespeople hanging around there aswell.

I started building pedals only so I could get alittle soldering practice to build DIY recording gear.. But it didn't go exactly as planned ;D

madbean

Well, the universe provides. I happen to log into my Focusrite account today and saw that they were offering a free license to XLN Audio Additive Keys. I've been wanting a decent grand piano library and here it is!

Anyway, cool story Freppo! Parasit Studio is indeed a great name.

jimilee

They offer stuff like that constantly, you should subscribe to the emails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muehring

I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 yesterday.  Can't wait to get started with it. 

midwayfair

I was hoping Freppo would chime in :)

Interface: RME Fireface UCX.
Computer: Mac Mini 2010 (This thing's a disaster -- besides the dead FW port, the optical drive is also dead and I have some major stability issues -- is is one of my near-future replacement purchases.)

Instruments: Crafters of Tennessee TN Flattop, Larrivee D-05, the DonQuixotecaster (Stratele), Red Tele, Sheraton 50th Anniversary, Roland FP-5, Weber Bitterroot, some 1950s German violin, Gold Tone CC-Carlin, a cigar box guitar gifted to me for PIFmas one year, a modified Epi Viola bass, some crappy unknown floor tom masquerading as a kick, and for a few weeks at least a borrowed Slingerland snare.

Amps: Sakura (my modernized champ build) and a Tone King Imperial.

Mics: I have a problem ...

Condensers: A Sennheiser MK4, two 47-flavored FET+BJT builds (the new one with the oscillator is superior and is getting a lot of use now), an ELA251 build, Elation KM201, a pair of Line Audio OM1, and some electrets with modified Alice circuits I built into cheap dynamic microphone bodies. Dynamics: RE20 (one of the world's few flawless microphones ... and if you think it has flaws, shut up, you're wrong), e835, and e609. Ribbons (both from kits): An Austin (with a Cinemag, but has some S:N issues) and an Arthur Fisher Rm-6 (A+ would make again).

Preamps:
Six channels of my FET + Ge Pre, an ART Pro MPA II (really underrated), and a couple baby animal neutral channels in case I need four "invisible" preamp channels (the fireface has two).

Monitoring: I just use Sony MD7506 headphones. The red digital ones. I have a pair of CAD isolation headphones for recording quiet stuff as well.

Room treatment: I made some baffles/bass traps out of 1x4, ikea cloth, rockwool, and eyelet hooks. They're hanging from the ceiling and at the corners. Probably spent less than $100 total on this, but it made a big difference in the room, enough that even Lexa commented on it when we finished hanging them. I record in our library, so the bookshelves help a bunch, too.

Outboard comp: My dual/stereo 1176 build with all the extra ratios and some other mods.

Plugins: Logic comes with a lot of excellent stuff and there are a ton of really high quality free comps out there. I paid for most of the Tokyo Dawn stuff, the Klanghelm Mu Compressor, and TB Reel Bus (all of which are so worth it). I got the Bus Driver compressor when it was free -- it's amazing. The free stuff I use most often other than those are Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst, Melda's stereo spreader, the Saturation Knob (which is perfect), and Panipulator.

Pedals: Despite the sizable DIY collection, there's a small number of things that get regular use: My regular board (bearhug, winnie the pooh fuzz face, MOSFET booster, snow day, ernie ball VP, TT cardinal, and el capistan), Ray Ring MOSFET compressor, Rust Bunny, Blue Warbler, Naughty Fish, and the Swamp Comp. There are very few bases I can't cover with just those and some plugins.

Want list: There are some more microphone builds on the block, in part because I already have most of the parts for them that I've been gathering for a while. I will have to thin the herd though -- I ended up with some extra 47 capsules because some friends flaked out on a group buy. I kinnnnnda want to build PRR's varimu if I can find a version 4 PCB (I have all the parts and a case), or a true variable mu comp. (Someone on group DIY came up with a good, simple 6v6 design that fits the bill if I ever get around to it.) At some point I will finish an API pre project when I get around to deciding how I want to do the power supply. I already have more stuff than I use, but that's not really the point, is it?

selfdestroyer

Everytime I list out stuff like this I feel like such a gear whore. I have tried to minimise over the years but I am so attached to some/most of this stuff. haha The hard part is keeping everything in working order. Owning vintage gear makes you learn real fast that you either need to figure out the basics of repair & maintenance or make a bunch of money to hire someone to care for it for you. I went the "learn the basics" path and try to keep all my stuff in working order.

Home:
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 - I wanted an interface that supported Apple Thunderbolt so I did not burn up my USB ports.
Mac Book Pro (i7 2015 model)
Logic Pro X - I came from Pro Tools and never looked back.
KRK Rokit 5 - I have these set as flat as possible and they still can be a bit bass heavy. All in all they work good.
AKG K240 MKII Headphones - I wanted a nice pair of open back over ear monitors and these seem to fit the bill. They sound fantastic to me.
Native Instruments Maschine - I am a pad whore

Tape:
Technics M6 - I bounce things to cassettes and back into Logic from time to time and this thing gives me some good grit when I push the recording levels in the red a bit.
Fostex Model 80 reel to reel - This was what I used before I got the Technics M6 to bounce to tape. Not too much love now, collects dust more than anything else.

Mixer:
Mackie 1202 VLC Pro - This is the central point for all my outboard gear like synths and samplers.

Mics:
A few SM 57's
A few SM 58's
Sennheiser E609 Silver - This is my main amp mic

Rack Effects & Effect Units:
Alesis Midi verb 4 - Had it since It was new... HUGE reverb Spaces.
Yamaha SPX90 - Got it cheap and Kevin Shields used one.. so .. theres that. Well, its damn good at the reverse delay/reverb sound also.
Roland Space Echo RE-201 - My baby

Amps: I have quite a few amps but only 2 that I use regularly
Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb - This is my go to amp. I love the sound of this small guy.
Fender Bassman silverface drip (I keep forgetting the date) with matching 2 15" cab - BIG sound and I do not get to use it much, but when I do.. It makes me smile.

Keyboards & Synths:
Rhodes Mark 1 Seventy Three - This was a gift to my dad from an old highschool buddy of his and he then handed down to me. I cherish this thing.
Yamaha DX7 - Cause who hates 80's synth music? Nobody, thats who!
Roland Juno-60 - This was my uncle's and he just stopped using it and I swooped in. Super super FAT sounding. Love this thing.
Korg Microkorg - Every time I plan on getting rid of it, I play with it for 10 minutes and tell myself I still need it. It pairs up nice with my Akai MPC 2kxl.
Casio CZ-101 - This was one of my firsts "synths" and it gets some great classic sounds. This one keeps kicking around.
Alesis Micron - (See Microkorg description) lol

Samplers: I love samplers and have been making sample based music since high school. I was/am a huge boom/bap hiphop fan if you could not tell.
Akai MPC 2000 - First sampler I ever owned. This thing has been ALL OVER THE PLACE. 3.5" floppies and all!
Akai MPC 2000 XL - My work horse and where I feel at home.
Boss SP-303 - two words.... Vinyl....Simulator.

Portable setup: I travel with this setup and take it to work most days.
Teenage Engineering OP-1 - Just got this late 2016 and I am slowly starting to meld with it. I wanted something that was multi track and had a synth engine that did not need a laptop/iphone/ipad to use. Something with keys to bang on and decent battery life. I would have NEVER thought I would buy one of these but just 1 hour with this thing I can see why they cost what they do and why they are popular. I took it camping and was able to make songs & enjoy coffee 100's of miles from a city.

Pule X TT-SK10 Portable speaker - This thing sound great for a small portable speaker. Its Bluetooth also but I use it mainly for a 1/8" cable from my OP-1. One cool feature is when the 1/8" cable is installed it shuts off the Bluetooth to conserve batteries.

RAVPower 26800mAh Power Bank - I use this for an external power source if needed. Its got 3 USB ports and will hold a charge forever. I have had it in my bag for months and go to use it and its still over 90% full. A must have for a portable setup.

Coming soon:
I am looking for a nice portable recorder for field recordings and live stuff..

vizcities

Interesting question :-D I've been slowly amassing a recording setup over the last five years and it's finally starting to feel like a real thing. The stats:

Interface: PreSonus Firestudio (Firewire)
Computer: 2011 Mac Mini w/8GB of RAM
DAW: Cockos Reaper

Preamps: Line Audio's 8MP and a Golden Age Pre 73. The GAP 73 isn't a total all-rounder, but it's great for getting color, warmth, and punch in the mix; I use it on snare top and guitar (both acoustic and electric).  Meanwhile, the Line Audio is probably the best preamp deal on the planet - for $750ish, you get eight 70dB+ channels of Grace-like clean gain. It sounds good paired with literally anything. Future DIY plans: 2 FETboys (or, rather, Jon's revision/reboot of same), 4 API312 clones, and maybe Paulinthelab's Balanced-to-Line Mic Pre if the mood strikes me. And then I'm DONE with pres, save perhaps a tube pre (maybe the Hamptone Tape Op thing?) when I decide I need to get rid of more money in a few years or so...

DIs: The GAP73 is actually a great DI, as well; I use it for iPad synths, pre-modeled guitar, and electric piano. My Countryman 85 is solid for guitar, as well, though I'm deciding whether to sell it and just use the GAP exclusively. I used to use it for bass, but I recently bought an Ampeg Portaflex 350W with an XLR line out that is absolutely killer - warm-but-clean tone and nice, fattening gain. Future DIY plans: I'm probably going to build the Tagboard Effects Hughes & Kettner Red Box DI and Paulinthelab's Active DI Box project at some point in the next couple years, more out of curiosity than need.

Other outboard:

DIY:RE Line2Amp (reamping box)
Behringer X-Touch Compact (flying faders/DAW controller)
TC Electronics M350 (rack delay/verb/modulation)
Alesis 3630 (compressor - currently in the midst of being modded to DBX specs)
Yamaha HS5 pair (monitors)
Future DIY plans: I'm building a spring reverb into a wooden box w/TH Customs' balanced line driver; we'll see if it gets incorporated into my workflow!

Instruments/amps:

Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster
Fender Duo-Sonic
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha acoustic guitar (not sure of the model)
Ibanez classical guitar (not sure of the model)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar PJ Bass
Ludwig Accent drum kit w/Zildjian A Series cymbals (ride, crash, hats) and various snare drums
Fender Twin Reverb (Fun fact: It was originally owned by the fine folks in Wye Oak, apparently.)
Yamaha YPG-635 electric piano
M-Audio Radium 49 midi controller
Korg microKEY25 midi controller
iPad 4 w/tons of synths (Animoog, Korg Module/Gadget/Polysix, Sunrizer, iMini, iSEM, Manetron, Thor, Sampletank, Nave, Magellan, Caustic, Nanologue, Pocket Organ) and beatmakers (Impaktor, iElectribe, Figure, Funkbox, Samplr, DrumPerfect)
Rogue mandolin
Cheap no-name ukelele
Pearl ash cajon
Glockenspiel
Melodica
Cowbell and blast blocks
Tamborim
Guiro
Various harmonicas
Various tambourines and shakers
Future DIY plans: I have an Epiphone Special II and Squier Strat that I'm probably going to fix - file the nuts, swap out the tuners, rewire with GFS stuff - and throw into perpetual alternate tunings. I'm also building Paulinthelab's 5W Sparky, the Tiny Giant, and a Noisy Cricket this year. If money permits, I may try to build a 5F3 Tweed clone, too...

Microphones:

Cascade FatHead, KEL HM-2D, Shure SM7B, Shure SM58, ElectroVoice 635a, ElectroVoice N/D868, Audix i5, Audix D2, Audix D4, CAD M179, Oktava MC012 (x2), Audio Technica Pro37 (x2), Audio Technica AT4033, 12 Gauge Mics assortment (2 cardioid, 1 high-SPL cardioid, 1 omni, 1 stereo), GSL ES-57 (x3), Prodipe TT1 Pro, AKG D112, AKG D1000E, and a ReVox M-3500 (transformerless Beyerdynamic M201, more or less). I too have a problem ;) Future DIY plans: I nabbed one C12-style and two U47-style Chinese capsules in the same group buy as Jon, so I plan to make a (yes) C12 clone and a FET47 clone; the remaining K47 capsule will be swapped into an MCA SP1 w/a modded circuit. A U87 clone is probably on the distant horizon, too, though I've heard things about the Aston Origin that make me think it might be a low-end fix for whatever tasks I might assign the Neumann. (Also: like Jon, I am building an Alice circuit into a cheap Chinese mic or two in the near future.)

Room treatment: Nothing fancy - I built about six gobos from rockwool, felt, and cheapo furring strips from Home Depot. My space's walls also have 2" thick moving blankets in various strategic positions.

Plugins: Lots of FabFilter (particularly Pro-C, Pro-Q, Saturn, Simplon, and Timeless), Waves (API-style EQs, amp/effect sims), ValhallaRoom (the whole shebang), and native Cockos Rea- stuff, with liberal use of Cytomic's The Glue and Soundtoys' delay and mod plugs. Amplitube gets some play, too - particularly when I start to miss my AC15 (and its godhead trem).

Pedals: My main guys are a Green Russian/Civil War hybrid Muff clone, a Big Cheese clone, a Sparkle Drive clone, a Hotcake clone, a Phase 90, an '80s MIJ Boss compressor, the Naughty Fish, the Bean's Os Mutantes fuzz, an MXR Distortion+, an Si Fuzz Face clone, a Fuzz Factory clone, and my Twin's onboard verb and trem. I've been daydreaming about the El Capistan and may bite the bullet this year. Future DIY plans: In the immediate future? Builds of Frantone's Vibutron and Cream Puff, a Vorg Warp, a Galileo, a RAH, and a Pork Barrel.

Learning the ins and outs of my plugs and mics is The Main Plan for 2017 - I'm OK at miking drums (my main instrument), but haven't found a guitar sound I love quite yet. The quest for tone continues unabated  ::)

raulduke

I use Ableton Live and have Native Instruments Komplete (keeping it up to date every now and then), plus the Sound Toys suite. I record with a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. If I need to mic anything up I usually just go with my SM57 that I have had for years. That is enough to keep me entertained for god knows how long.

I barely record anything anymore, but I like tinkering every now and then when I get chance.

Heads Up: If you guys want some good quality free plugins, grab an issue of Computer Music (a UK magazine).

Every issue comes with a massive suite of plugins (including some by U-He etc.)  8)

http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic/cm-plugins-full-list-of-our-exclusive-free-vst-au-plugin-instruments-and-effects-571808