News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD (I'm a Jaguar owner once again)

Started by Timko, February 03, 2017, 02:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

3 years ago, I bought a Squier Jaguar.  And while the guitar sounded lackluster, I really loved the way the body felt and sat on my shoulder.  I also enjoyed the short scale neck.  Well, it wasn't getting played much last year, so I sold it to a kid who's in a couple of bands.  I didn't even think about the Jag until the guitar store I frequent got a Johnny Marr Jaguar in.  I was floored. .Tthere is a certain airyness to the pickups that wasn't present in my Squier.  The pickups are actually Bare Knuckle custom wounds, and they really shine here.  It's body is even more comfortable thanks to the contours designed to hug your body even closer.  The neck is a little fatter, which I love.  There's a lot of things about the Johnny Marr that are logical improvements to make the Jag more usable while still retaining the overall aesthetic of the guitar.  In fact, if you look at the new Fender Professional series, they use the same blade pickup switch and similar bright switch options.

It's the first guitar I've owned that I'm not thinking about re-wiring or changing pickups on :).  In fact, almost all of the changes that may get made are cosmetic.  The pickguard will most likely change to a tortoiseshell.  I'll most likely add a Mastery bridge and maybe a Mastery trem (not sure on the 2nd one though; the trem on this has the same sensitivity as the Bigsby on my Gretsch).  There's a high probability that I'll have the headstock painted a matching olympic white.  And there's a neck plate that's engraved with a "This Machine Destroys Fascists" design that's a homage to Woodie Guthrie that I'm partial to as well. 

It's odd owning an instrument where the sound can't be improved upon out of the box.  Oddly enough, this is the first guitar I've ever bought from a store that was new.  It's my tax return present to myself for 2017.

storyboardist

Happy NGD! Those Marr Jags are fantastic. Tort guard is gonna look fantastic too. No better way to do an Oly White Fender.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

timbo_93631

Congratulations!  That's a beauty, nice rich Oly white on that one.  As far as a tort guard goes, check out Spitfire tortishell guards, pricey, but also amazing.  Also look into Staytrem bridges.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

AntKnee

Nice!
I've been fascinated with Jags and Jazzmasters for a while, but have never played one. I'm afraid to, actually. I'll wind up single again if I buy another guitar.  ;D
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Timko

Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 03, 2017, 02:48:08 PM
Congratulations!  That's a beauty, nice rich Oly white on that one.  As far as a tort guard goes, check out Spitfire tortishell guards, pricey, but also amazing.  Also look into Staytrem bridges.

I actually had a Staytrem bridge on my Squier, as well as the locking collet for the trek. They're very nice, but I want to try something else this time around. As for Spitfire pickguards; they are the most amazing looking tort guards I've seen, but they also start at $200 :(. There's a guy that's recommended on the OffsetGuitars forum that I'm going to try. However, if anyone else has suggestions on custom made guards under $75 I would be very interested to hear about their work.

timbo_93631

Yep, Spitfire is $$$ for plastic...  Cody (selfdestroyer) here just picked up a Mastery bridge and vibrato for his MIJ CAR JM, maybe he'll weigh in on his findings.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jimilee

Oh hell yes. I've been thinking about getting one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

nzCdog

diablochris6

That is a great looking guitar. Congrats.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Muadzin

I've always wondered but never bothered to google, and I never seem to come across a guitarist who has one, but what do those two top sliding switches actually do?

Timko

Quote from: Muadzin on February 04, 2017, 12:20:45 PM
I've always wondered but never bothered to google, and I never seem to come across a guitarist who has one, but what do those two top sliding switches actually do?

They are both bright switches. They're similar to the bright switch on the original Jaguar wiring scheme. The vertical switch works on all 4 pickup positions, and the horizontal switch adds additional brightness to position 4 (pickups in series).