News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Muff diode clip?

Started by kinski, August 13, 2011, 02:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Hi, I can't seem to find the instructions for how to turn a Muff (basically) a Colorsound Supa Tonebender. I've read that you have to remove the 2nd stage diode pair. If this is correct, how could I put these diodes on a switch so I can take them in and out of the circuit. Thanks!

kinski

Oops, the mod is to remove the 1st stage diode pair, not the 2nd stage, correct?

kinski

kinski

Would this work?

Using a 2-way toggle SPDT, I connect the 2 in-series diodes to the 2 outer lugs on the SPDT. Then one of the center lugs to the anode pad of D1 and the other center lug to the cathode pad of D2. Would this work, and is this the best way to do it?

jkokura

Sorry, missed this. Here's a link for the 1978 Color Sound Supa Tonebender. Looks like it's the diodes on the Q2 that's been removed, so the first set of diodes. You should be able to build one using that schem.

http://eu11.stripper.jp/pulcino/blog/images/SupaTonebender.gif

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kinski

Hey thanks. I don't really want to build an exact copy. I built the Mayo and its great. But for added versatility, I was thinking of just having the toggle to remove the first pair of diodes for some more open lower gain stuff.

Would the toggle wiring I mentioned above do the job?

jkokura

No, I think you've misunderstood how switches work.

I wish I wasn't on my phone so I could link it for you, but there's a great article on switches in the tech area over at Beavis Audio. Maybe google it.

Essentially, you solder one end of the diodes into the PCB, and the other ends connect to one side lug of a SPDT, then the center lug to the one of the other Diode pads. This makes the diodes in parallel, and remember that one needs to be reversed (black stripes are opposite on the diodes). The other lug of the switch remains unconnected.

Hope that makes sense.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kinski

certainly does. thanks! I'll try and out and see what happens.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

kinski

Thanks, I'll read up.

I put the diodes on a switch, but I actually did not really like how it sounded when taken out. Nice to try it though. Thanks again.