News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strange Trades

Started by sonnyboy27, November 21, 2016, 08:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyboy27

So today I traded a couple of DIY kits for car repair. Didn't think that would ever happen.

Anyone else ever do any strange trades?

selfdestroyer

I have made some deals for camera gear and games stuff in the past. I love trading in general.

Cody

GermanCdn

Sounds like you came out on top of that trade, nicely done.

Truthfully, I avoid trades like the plague, because generally people way overvalue what they have when approaching a trade.  I've had at least a dozen instances where I've had guitars listed (and sold) for reasonable used market prices and had people offer me unsolicited trades on stuff that sells less new for what I am asking for.  I think my favourite was some guy wanting to trade a stock Ibanez Gio for a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 21, 2016, 10:44:13 PM

Truthfully, I avoid trades like the plague, because generally people way overvalue what they have when approaching a trade.  I've had at least a dozen instances where I've had guitars listed (and sold) for reasonable used market prices and had people offer me unsolicited trades on stuff that sells less new for what I am asking for.  I think my favourite was some guy wanting to trade a stock Ibanez Gio for a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Sweet! Was the Ibanez made of gold or platinum or have a super kickass amp plug up to it that came with it?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBRAddict

Truthfully, I avoid trades like the plague, because generally people way overvalue what they have when approaching a trade.

I used to trade firearms and it's not unique to music gear. People really got bent when I told them to look up the values of their gear in the blue book get back to me.

cajone5

I've made trades of pedals for records before when I was building up my vinyl collection.  Worked great actually.

I do tend to avoid trades for the most part though.  I agree completely that most folks looking to trade value their stuff very high while simultaneously valuing the other parties goods very low.  My favorite phrase on a gear forum is "trade value".  Like when people say, $500 shipped, trade value $650.  Why does the value change in trade?

Betty Wont

Lol, I had a guy who wanted to trade a G&L for my Parker Fly. Turned out it was an Indonesian Tribute, with a broken truss rod.

raulduke

I've had some good experiences with trades to be fair (people offering pedal+cash straight away when trading something of a lower value etc.).

If both parties are reasonable then it can be a very nice way to get new gear.

There seems to be a lot of 'tyre kickers' (read d*ckheads) abundant in any secondhand market though unfortunately.