News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PT2399: What sounds good/bad?

Started by AntKnee, January 26, 2017, 11:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I haven't built many delays, but I've seen multiple mentions of some sounding better than others. I've been lucky I guess, that none have sounded "bad", or maybe I just don't know what a bad chip sounds like. So, my question is... What does a bad chip sound like? Conversely, what does a good chip sound like? What sound do you listen for?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jkokura

I've used dozens of these chips, and I can verify that some sound good, and some bad. Really what I mean when I say that is that, some of them have cleaner long delay repeats. Bad ones distort, have noise, get muddy (and not in the good way), and some even never get long in terms of their delay times.

I believe it all has to do with tolerances and manufacturing. Like with any chip, if you get multiple manufacturers with tolerances, there will be ones that work to spec, and ones that don't.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IX4cuJP-mU

Turn it right up to here it. My camera wasn't great at picking it up. But it's way louder in person. First is a good one, second is a bad one. It's the first batch of bad one's we ever got from Tayda, and they were all bad. Essentially we only get pots from them now. IC's are sourced locally or in the case of PT's, from Das Musikding in Germany.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk