News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Parts Plus move

Started by aion, June 14, 2016, 07:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

It is kind of expensive, but a nicely finished enclosure with custom artwork for ~$40 is pretty solid IMO.

Let's face it, this hobby is not really about the value - It makes more sense financially to have someone else do the building for you. This hobby is about doing it your own way, and having the pedal reflect your priorities.

Just my .02
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Drew Hallenbeck

I don't have a problem spending a few extra bucks for a quality product.
I was just bummed because all I wanted was to save the hassle of prepping and painting a few white boxes to put decals on. It's getting pretty humid and the temperatures are dropping here in MI which makes it harder to do my own painting. Just clear coating over the decals will be enough of a PITA.

A paint charge of $8.95 for a white box is a tough pill to swallow.
If it were "cosmic swirly translucent sparkle burst" or something like that I wouldn't even flinch.

The last plain white 1590BB i ordered from them had a couple of rough spots in it. When I very lightly tried to sand it smooth, I went right down to the metal pretty quick. Who knows what kind of prep work was done (sanding/cleaning) before it was coated, if any. And the finish was VERY thin.
I will say that that one came from them BEFORE the change of ownership. Maybe they're doing a bit better now.
All I know is that there's no way I'm gonna want to pay $8.95 for another white enclosure of that quality.

I'm not trying to hate on PPP or anything. Don't get me wrong, I've been very happy with most of the stuff I've gotten from them. I'm sure I'll end up giving them another try eventually.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Bret608

I'll still totally order "standard" color drilled enclosures from them. Also, I didn't notice the premium is only a dollar more than the standard, so that'll still be an option, especially given the once or twice a year I actually box something. Still beats buying a bunch of different paint colors on my own, so I see your point. I have gotten one standard color (candy teal translucent) from them since the change of ownership and it's still the great quality I've gotten before. One other thing I liked a lot--their new CNC machinist is really on the ball and will contact you if he foresees any problems with your drill template (which mine almost always have!). He even took the time to walk me through doing a template with measurements from the center lines, rather than the outer edges like I used to do.

The premium finishes would be hard for me to justify given the quality of my building, but who knows, for a special project it may be worth it still.

brucer

Quote from: desmondtencents on September 28, 2016, 03:18:07 PM
I don't have a problem spending a few extra bucks for a quality product.
A paint charge of $8.95 for a white box is a tough pill to swallow.
If it were "cosmic swirly translucent sparkle burst" or something like that I wouldn't even flinch.
The last ... i ordered from them had a couple of rough spots in it. When I very lightly tried to sand it smooth, I went right down to the metal pretty quick. Who knows what kind of prep work was done (sanding/cleaning) before it was coated, if any. And the finish was VERY thin.

This is my experience/view too.  Bummed re: pricing, especially now that finishing quality seems to have gone down. 

Worse yet, now I can't find painted enclosures on the new Mammoth website.  Did I miss an announcement that Mammoth are getting out of finishing?  My last batch of painted enclosures from them is still in the mail!

brucer

Quote from: brucer on September 28, 2016, 11:45:17 PM
Worse yet, now I can't find painted enclosures on the new Mammoth website.  Did I miss an announcement that Mammoth are getting out of finishing?  My last batch of painted enclosures from them is still in the mail!

Update (and a relief):

QuoteSorry, we're having problems with the site right now. If you're ready to order now, you can just buy bare enclosures and then email me to let me know the order number and what color you want them to be. Sorry about the site issue!

Thanks,

Alan Hatcher
Customer Service
Mammoth Electronics
3203 Broce Dr.
Suite B
Norman, OK 73072
405-310-0520
sales@mammothelectronics.com

jkokura

Got an email from the new owners of PPP. I like the direction they're heading in. I'll continue to support them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals