News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New to Vero, what boards to get? Other advice?

Started by thesameage, October 25, 2016, 12:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Hey all... I've been building pedals for a few years but I have never used vero before. I have been taking a break from building pedals, but want to cook up a few preamps to use onboard for my bass. Looks like most of these need to be done via vero, so here I am. Looking forward to doing it and getting ready to order some supplies from smallbear. Can someone tell me what kind of actual board I need? I have 4 smallish projects all around this size: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/sadowsky-preamp.html

Here's the smallbear link: http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pc-boards-prototyping-1/?sort=featured&page=1

There are a few good guides out there, but if anyone else has any tips or can point me to some good information on working with vero, it would be much appreciated.

JR

davent

On the tagboardeffects link you put up, the page has buttons for "Layout Guide" and "Build Guide". Lots of good info in them.

For board i like the epoxy board i bought here, far, far nicer then the stuff i bought out of Asia. Even better, it now comes tinned. I think they also sell on ebay.

https://veroboard.com/shop/the-veroboard-products/cveroboard-size-2x10/cem-1-prototyping-tinrohs-hasl-stripboard-2x10/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

thesameage

The tagboard site has some great tutorials that I'll be using.

I guess that I'm looking for stripboard.

JackSkellington

Sabrotone has a good tutorial, too.

For a bass preamp you can see the alembic f2b fet version, but I never built it. Try to get some information. ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Muadzin

I like vero, it's very forgiving. You solder the wrong part on a pcb, you're potentially in for a desoldering nightmare. With vero, it's easy peasy. I also find it easier to trace the signal path on a vero board with an audio probe as everything is out in the open. With pcb's you sometimes never know where the signal path is.

On the downside you're far more likely to cock up with vero as you basically have to make the whole board yourself. A wrong cut, a forgotten or misplaced link and you're in for hours of troubleshooting fun. Still, could be a LOT worse. There is the utter and complete nightmare that is perf board.

thesameage

Quote from: JackSkeletron on October 25, 2016, 07:46:15 AM
Sabrotone has a good tutorial, too.

For a bass preamp you can see the alembic f2b fet version, but I never built it. Try to get some information. ;)

I've been checking out the sadowsky, that Alembic, and possibly a low pass Alembic type filter.

stringsthings

I haven't used vero in a while, but I used to do it all the time.  I used the Tayda vero.
To help with parts placement, I put thin strips of tape on the edges on the front and back and then wrote in numbers.
( usually just 1,5,10,etc. )  That really helps when you're placing parts and making the cuts.
For cuts, I just used a drill bit.  After making the cuts, I checked for shorts with a multi-meter.
All You Need Is Love

JackSkellington

Alembic is a bass preamp tough it should be work with guitar, too. You could use socket pin for some critical parts.

I use only stripboard, I bought just a pcb because I couldn't find a verified veroboard layout.
I build stripboard with calm and much careful, I check all after every step, and I rarely made mistakes. ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»