News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about 'professional' enclosure graphics

Started by Guybrush, October 16, 2016, 07:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeo

Quote from: culturejam on October 18, 2016, 01:58:31 PM
I got the seller to send me the manual for that cheap UV printer I linked above. As you might expect, the English is pretty rough. But it's interesting to note that the print head is a clone of the same print head from an Epson L800 photo printer (generally only available in Asian markets). So at least there is a market for spare/replacement parts, which is better than some of the other cheap options.

I too have been doing a little digging, that is the one part thats prone to fail or will need servicing in its lifetime so the fact the L800/R330 heads are relatively easy to get at a decent price looks promising. Not sure how many other components have come from those ranges of printers. Here's a link to the software with some rough guides, notice the supported models, makes me think the mainboards are from normal printers as well...   http://www.focusdgt.com/productshow.asp?pid=488

culturejam

Quote from: sturgeo on October 18, 2016, 02:23:22 PM
I too have been doing a little digging, that is the one part thats prone to fail or will need servicing in its lifetime so the fact the L800/R330 heads are relatively easy to get at a decent price looks promising. Not sure how many other components have come from those ranges of printers. Here's a link to the software with some rough guides, notice the supported models, makes me think the mainboards are from normal printers as well...   http://www.focusdgt.com/productshow.asp?pid=488

Yeah, looks like they did some creative re-appropriating of the hardware/firmware. Pretty smart.

I found the web site of the seller I communicated with on AliExpress: http://multiflatbedprinter.com/
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

wgc

just noticed I wrote something incorrectly on my previous post, I meant to say "dye sublimation" printers.  A little cheaper than UV, pretty nice quality I think though.  Usually used on mugs, etc.

Guess I had ink jet/UV in my head from reading the other posts.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

I wonder how sturdy dye-sub printing would be on top of a powdercoated box?

StuTheGuitarMan

My mate owns a promotional company and he lets me use his dye sub printer to customise my gear and works great. I asked him and it should work on a powdercoated box just fine.

culturejam

Quote from: StuTheGuitarMan on October 19, 2016, 07:16:59 AM
My mate owns a promotional company and he lets me use his dye sub printer to customise my gear and works great. I asked him and it should work on a powdercoated box just fine.

So for dye sub, you first print a transfer and then use a heat press to apply, correct?  I did some quick searching yesterday but didn't see any dye sub printers that apply directly to anything other than fabric or paper.

wgc

Yeah, I believe that's how it works, print on transfer paper, apply, then bake.  No heat press, I think that's for doing shirts.

Similar to toner transfer process for us except for the baking.

I think it should be fine on powdercoat.

Not sure but I think michaels has a kit to put photos on tiles, mugs, etc. for abou$12. It probably isn't called dye sublimation on the kit though. I thought about trying it just haven't done it yet.

One more technique for consideration is hydrographic transfers.  Which is next on the list as I get back into building. There's a little technique and you'll need a clear coat but seems promising.  Custom printed films might not be cheap...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings