News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Music Is Dead

Started by alanp, September 29, 2016, 02:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I didn't want to bomb CJ's thread, so here are two articles by Steve Albini (the Harmonic Percolator guy).

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
This one is from 1993, and shows it. Tape is a Big Deal, to give an example, and Minor Threat is a known band.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/17/steve-albinis-keynote-address-at-face-the-music-in-full
This one is from 2014, and one hell of a lot more optimistic.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

It's worth noting that in response to that keynote address, Marc Ribot publicly asked Steve Albini to put all of his music in the public domain, since "... the intellectual construct of copyright and intellectual property ownership is not realistic...That old copyright model of the person who wrote something down owns it and anyone else who wants to use it or see it has to pay him, I think that model has expired."

Albini has not responded, nor has he given up his copyright claims.

I agree with Marc Ribot -- copyright is still necessary for working artists and musicians to attempt to make a living off of their music. (I say "attempt" because nobody's really getting paid anymore. It's awful.)

samhay

>This one is from 2014, and one hell of a lot more optimistic.
Thanks - I enjoyed that. He is more erudite than I was expecting.

>It's worth noting that in response to that keynote address, Marc Ribot publicly asked Steve Albini to put all of his music in the public domain, ...
Well he may have taken some baby steps towards this - he gained some notoriety for allowing his work to be sampled sans royalties, etc.
See: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/30/steve-albini-rant-about-dance-music-turned-into-billboard

peAk

Quote from: alanp on September 29, 2016, 02:46:01 AM
I didn't want to bomb CJ's thread, so here are two articles by Steve Albini (the Harmonic Percolator guy).

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
This one is from 1993, and shows it. Tape is a Big Deal, to give an example, and Minor Threat is a known band.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/17/steve-albinis-keynote-address-at-face-the-music-in-full
This one is from 2014, and one hell of a lot more optimistic.

interesting read

Bret608

I've always loved that old Baffler article. The "warm and punchy" diatribe summed up a lot of what I was feeling during the alterna-boom of the late- to mid-'90s.

Albini has mellowed with age, getting more nuanced in his views while remaining prickly. I think we need people like that around.

EBRAddict

Am I the only one here old enough to have seen Albini / Big Black play live? It was in a tiny coffee shop in a central Illinois college town. It was sometime between Atomizer and Songs About F***ing

Bret608

I am just a few years too young to have seen them during that time. Late '80s/early '90s is when I started seeing bands play live. Wish I had though!

alanp

Quote from: lincolnic on September 29, 2016, 03:45:32 AMAlbini has not responded, nor has he given up his copyright claims.

I agree with Marc Ribot -- copyright is still necessary for working artists and musicians to attempt to make a living off of their music. (I say "attempt" because nobody's really getting paid anymore. It's awful.)

I'm somewhat of Vetinari's opinion -- you don't throw people you don't like in the dungeon, because you don't like them. If nothing else, you need a devil's advocate in arguments.

I'm increasingly of the mind that in future, revenue for bands and performers will rely on a patron-type system (like Bach), or patreon in this age, with the relationship between band and paying audience being far more important than it was in the 90s, when everyone KNEW that Big Band X lived in mansions, drove ferrari's, and you were NEVER, EVER going to breathe the same air. (These days, I'm given to understand that they live in ghettos, wear a kilogram of gold jewellery, and drive USAian cars the size of Hummers.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on September 30, 2016, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: lincolnic on September 29, 2016, 03:45:32 AMAlbini has not responded, nor has he given up his copyright claims.

I'm somewhat of Vetinari's opinion -- you don't throw people you don't like in the dungeon, because you don't like them. If nothing else, you need a devil's advocate in arguments.

He may not have thrown them in the dungeon, but he did encourage them to leave via his special door.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper