News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Amp Emulators

Started by raulduke, August 08, 2016, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: drolo on August 09, 2016, 03:44:52 PM
you can also find the cheaper THR5 which is also smaller if you can live with the few options it has less (i don't remember the actual differences )

The 10 has a few more options:
• 5 presets for user settings
• Aux input volume control (for adjusting volume of play-along tunes via phone or whatever)
• 3-band EQ (instead of 1)
• Bass setting / Acoustic setting

I also forgot to mention that all of the THR amps have a built-in tuner (which is quite accurate) and that same button acts as a tap tempo actuator. Also, they also have noise gate and compressor effects, but they are only accessible via the THR Editor software. On the 10, you could turn on the compressor and adjust it and save to a preset. On the 5, you wouldn't have that option.

They sound the same, though. I went full monty on the 10 because I really thought the 3-band EQ was essential for getting realistic drive tones in emulation.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Thanks for the advice guys!

Just got myself a Yamaha THR10C. I wanted something immediate that I can just switch on and play.

It's the one that cuts out on High Gain emulations, and bumps up on the clean/blooz models.

Looks really handy with a wide range of stuff I didn't even know about (eg. the built in audio interface, tuner etc.).

I'm looking forward to getting it!

culturejam

I've got the 10C as well. I find that 95% of the time I use the Deluxe model because I'm testing pedals and want things to be clean but sound like it's coming through an actual amp. The "Flat" setting is good for totally clean/dry testing as well, but it's obviously a bit sterile. Flat is good for recording direct if you will be using amp/cab modeling in the recording software. For something barebones like Audacity, the Deluxe model is ideal for recording.

BTW, you can also use it simply as a portable speaker system. Just plug your phone or other devices into the Aux input and adjust the level to taste.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jball85

I still use my Johnson J-Station from time to time, it's got a killer rectifier emulator. If I'm truly feeling lazy or need to be quiet, I just run Amplitube, Guitar Rig, or GTR3 (Waves). Using an Guitar Cabinet Impulse Response plug-in for any of these works wonders. Using headphones of course.