News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions about connections on the schematics

Started by xorophone, June 29, 2016, 06:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xorophone

Hello! I want to try to build the Levithan delay from Etcher's Paradise on a perfboard (seems like a fun challenge), but I was wondering some stuff about the schematic ( http://www.madbeanpedals.com/EP/schematics/Leviathan.gif ). As you can see there's a bunch of "flags" with characters in them. For example under the LED in the lower right corner there's one with the letter "L". There's also two at the top with the letters "VB", two that say "+5V" and one that says "MOD". What am I supposed to do with these? I understand "IN" and "OUT". I'm guessing the "L" from the LED should be connected to the 3pdt switch after reading the Footswitch Wiring Essentials tutorial. Am I supposed to connect the "+5V" flags to each other? What do I do with the "VB" ones? And "MOD"?

Also, when you look at the PCB-thingy on the pdf-file there's connections for O, G and I too. Is that Output, Ground and Input?

Lastly, what am I supposed to do with the small "pin"-circles on the schematic? There's one under the LED for example.

I'm thankful for any replies. Sorry if this post was written badly, I didn't have much time. ;)

drolo

Quote from: xorophone on June 29, 2016, 06:24:23 PM
As you can see there's a bunch of "flags" with characters in them. For example under the LED in the lower right corner there's one with the letter "L". There's also two at the top with the letters "VB", two that say "+5V" and one that says "MOD". What am I supposed to do with these? I understand "IN" and "OUT". I'm guessing the "L" from the LED should be connected to the 3pdt switch after reading the Footswitch Wiring Essentials tutorial. Am I supposed to connect the "+5V" flags to each other? What do I do with the "VB" ones? And "MOD"?

Also, when you look at the PCB-thingy on the pdf-file there's connections for O, G and I too. Is that Output, Ground and Input?

Lastly, what am I supposed to do with the small "pin"-circles on the schematic? There's one under the LED for example.

The flags are usually labels that indicate connections instead of drawing them on the schematic (to simplify it)
So for example the Vb flag is the bias voltage created by the 2 resistors R24 and R25. In real life you will need to connect the other labels to this one.

Same thing with +5V which is the voltage provided by the regulator and which will supply power to the delay chip.

MOD seems to be a connection that can be used to hook up an optional LFO for modulation. So if you are not going to have an LFO you can leave that out.

The pin circles are just labels indicating solder pads on the PCB for these connections.

xorophone

Quote from: drolo on June 30, 2016, 08:45:41 AM
Quote from: xorophone on June 29, 2016, 06:24:23 PM
As you can see there's a bunch of "flags" with characters in them. For example under the LED in the lower right corner there's one with the letter "L". There's also two at the top with the letters "VB", two that say "+5V" and one that says "MOD". What am I supposed to do with these? I understand "IN" and "OUT". I'm guessing the "L" from the LED should be connected to the 3pdt switch after reading the Footswitch Wiring Essentials tutorial. Am I supposed to connect the "+5V" flags to each other? What do I do with the "VB" ones? And "MOD"?

The flags are usually labels that indicate connections instead of drawing them on the schematic (to simplify it)
So for example the Vb flag is the bias voltage created by the 2 resistors R24 and R25. In real life you will need to connect the other labels to this one.

Same thing with +5V which is the voltage provided by the regulator and which will supply power to the delay chip.

MOD seems to be a connection that can be used to hook up an optional LFO for modulation. So if you are not going to have an LFO you can leave that out.

The pin circles are just labels indicating solder pads on the PCB for these connections.

Great answer! Thanks drolo! :)

Just to clarify; do I just connect all three VB-flags together and all +5V-flags together? I'll probably leave the modulation out, but if I want to include it, can I connect it to a 1/4" jack (or 1/8"? Don't know the standard) and then use an external LFO in the future?

I suppose I can just ignore all the pin circles.

drolo

Quote from: xorophone on June 30, 2016, 03:36:53 PM
Just to clarify; do I just connect all three VB-flags together and all +5V-flags together?
Yep

I'll probably leave the modulation out, but if I want to include it, can I connect it to a 1/4" jack (or 1/8"? Don't know the standard) and then use an external LFO in the future?
Yes but I can't really say what kinds of LFO's will work with it. I suppose one that does not exceed 5V but I don't know enough about these delay chips. There might be something about that in the circuit's documentation.

xorophone

Quote from: drolo on June 30, 2016, 03:45:21 PM
Just to clarify; do I just connect all three VB-flags together and all +5V-flags together?
Yep

I'll probably leave the modulation out, but if I want to include it, can I connect it to a 1/4" jack (or 1/8"? Don't know the standard) and then use an external LFO in the future?
Yes but I can't really say what kinds of LFO's will work with it. I suppose one that does not exceed 5V but I don't know enough about these delay chips. There might be something about that in the circuit's documentation.

Ok, I'll look it up and see if I'll include it.

Thanks for the great replies. You've been a big help! :)