News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Some noob questions

Started by Jazzman, July 27, 2011, 01:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzman

'Good Lord' I hear you all say, not more newbie questions! lol But you guys are like the brains trust of pedal building so I'm gonna get a few questions off my chest. Firstly I've successfully built about 15 pedals, but it's all been "paint-by-numbers" so to speak... Just wish I understood more! Anyway, here's a couple of questions for you all:
1. What are the advantanges and disadvantages of using open and enclosed 1/4" jacks? The reason I ask is that olc seems to use the enclosed type... thought it might be better for high-gain pedals?
2. Would a dying battery simulator mod be good in pedals other than fuzz type? (for example to add power sag to the Dr.Boogie - preamp in a box type)
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using rc power filtering on the DC jack?
4. My Chunk Chunk build is a little noisey. I've twisted the battery and DC power leads (and kept them short), added an rc filter, and used shielded wire on the input to the pcb... I assume noise is hard to keep down in a pedal with that much gain but any help would be appreciated as I thought I took all required steps  ???

Thanks so much guys, and of course Brian for all the hard work and the best site on the net! (p.s I still wanna see a Zenkudo/Dumkudo clone in the future! lol)

cjkbug

I'll take a shot at this one. Some enclosed jacks are fairly small and enclosed in plastic so they help prevent accidental shorts in tight builds. Some also feature a switching mechanism on their contacts that allow one to reroute a ciruit when a cable is plugged in. This feature is also available on some open frame units, but adds to their cost considerably. The open framed jacks have the advantage of grounding themselves through contact with the metal enclosure. Whereas enclosed jacks will need to have a wire connecting to ground. On the whole though, they are identical in operation.

I can't think of anything besides fuzz designs that would benefit from voltage sag. most opamps and fets need a steady bias supply to sound properly. 

Filtering helps with the noise caused by bad electrical wiring in houses  cheap power supplies etc. even in dc transformers you should filter out any ac ripple for quieter operation.

My boogie build was noisy as hell, even though I followed what I considered to be decent build practices. It has a reputation as a noisy pedal. Did you try dialing back the trimmers to clean it up a bit. You should be able to dial some noise out at the expense of a little gain. lord knows there is plenty to spare in that circuit

somebody please chime in and correct anything I might have mis-stated. I certainly don't know it all.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Jazzman

Thanks cjkbug, I don't suppose you took readings of the jfet voltages for your Chunk Chunk build after dialing back the trimmers??? Or was it just by ear? I'll give it a go, but some advise would be handy. I found I had to lower trimmer 2 considerably to reduce the oscillation, but now I'm thinking I should have done the same to each trimmer???  ??? Thanks again

gtr2

Just an additional note on the enclosed jacks...

Enclosed jacks are not always isolated from the enclosure.  Isolated jacks are always isolated from the enclosure. 

For example, the enclosed switchcraft jacks that PPP carries ground to the enclosure via the sleeve.  The metal sleeve contact is what makes contact to the enclosure, not the plastic.  They are enclosed not isolated.  In fact most enclosed jacks are not isolated unless they have a plastic sleeve, even switching jacks.  This is important to remember when using a switching jack for an expression pedal insert.  The jack has to be isolated from the enclosure or your sleeve will ground making your expression pedal non functional.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer