News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cornish Buffer keeps dying

Started by Ric046, April 08, 2016, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric046

Hi, I've built a Cornish buffer about 18 months ago using the vero layout on 'Guitar FX Layouts' and in the last 6 months it keeps dying, leaving me with a weak, quite guitar signal coming through the amp.

It never happens when I start using it. Sometimes it'll happen 30 mins in, sometimes an hour in. Sometimes I can get a full nights band practice in without it happening. Sometimes the problem will disappear if I unplug and plug back in, sometimes I just can't get it come back. WHAT'S GOING ON!!?

I have my buffer after distortions and before wah and modulation. My exact chain is below.

I've recently reboxed the buffer in a different enclosure, (for reasons I won't go it to), AND STILL THE PROBLEM OCCURS. It now has new jack sockets, power socket and LED. So I'm convinced the problem is on circuit board.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what the problem might be because it's driving me crazy. Especially when it happens 7 times during a gig and I'm getting evil eyes off our drummer.

Cheers
Ric

Pedal chain: Polytune-->--Rangemaster Clone-->--Ross Compressor Clone-->--MB Sparkplug Overdrive-->--Whampler Pinnicle Clone-->--Barber Dirty Bomb Clone-->--Big Muff Triangle Clone-->--CORNISH BUFFER Clone-->--Cry Baby w/true bypass and volume knob mods-->--MXR Carbon Copy Delay-->--MB Cave dweller Delay-->--Mad Prof. Deep Blue Delay Clone-->--Box Of Hall Reverb       Last 3 through a Paramix

JC103

What gtr/pup combination are you using? That would be a good place to start. Also, I'm going to suggest that you are using the buffer in the wrong place in your signal chain. I know it may sound good post distortion, but a general rule of thumb is to place it as close as possible to the gtr pups... ie: first in your chain. However, it is good practice to place run fuzz face circuits first and then the buffer. It's an impedance thing, the buffer prevents high frequency signal loss. Try it first in the chain and see what happens.

Ric046

Great, I will try running it first, but it does sound good where it is at the minute.

When you say run fuzz face circuits before buffer, will that apply to the range master also, being that it's a germanium circuit.

Guitars BTW are a Strat 50s Classic player with vintage style pups, a DIY Tele with Bare Knuckles Blackguard '55 Staggered pups and a DIY Tele delux with Bare Knuckles Abraxas Humbuckers in.

Possible stupid question alert! Why would the type of guitar have an impact on the buffer?

JC103

Ah ha, I didn't notice the wah in your list earlier. I understand why you like the buffer there now. As for pups, strat/tele single coils will be most impacted by the use of a buffer IME. Humbuckers will be hit or miss, the high end retention will be more nuanced. Of course every rig is different. I've found the cornish buffer sounds best to me when I place it first in the chain. Fuzz Face type of circuits interact with single coils in a really dynamic way. Just listen to Hendrix, so many tones available at the twist of the vol/tone controls! I can't comment on your vero build, somebody else that understands how these circuits work will have a better idea of what could be causing the funny bizness. I've never played a range master, but I think it (loosely) falls into the category fuzz face with those germanium transistors.

selfdestroyer

What are you using to power all your pedals?

If you are using a OneSpot you could be maxing out or close to maxing it out...maybe.

Or It could be a failing electrolytic in your buffer. Sometimes the will store up power and work for awhile and then drop off.

Just late night ramblings of stuff to look at if you not have all ready.

Cody

Ric046

Thanks JC103 and Selfdestroyer.

I put the Wah after distortion because I think it sounds really good there, after years of putting the wah at to front. I'm still gonna try buffer at front (after rangemaster).

Vero boards work just the same as PCBs. They're a cheap alternative, especially when trying out new circuits.

Thanks for the reading material, I'll be sure to have a read.

I'm using a 'Voodoo Lab Pedal Power' so with 8 outlets I'm nowhere near maxing it out. Although I am daisy chaining the buffer with 3 other pedals. The current draw of all 4 is less easy less than about 40mA.

I did think of the electrolytics failing, especially considering the nature of the problem I'm having. They're not showing any signs of failing but I could still swap them out and see what happens. I used decent Nichicon FG electrolytics and like I said originally, the circuit is only 18 months old.