News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: Transistor Specification for Mangler

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, June 14, 2016, 03:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

I want to build the Mangler, but there are so many PNP transistors. Is there a specific one I need to zero in on?

Thank you

matmosphere

Small Bear sells matched sets for fuzz faces. They are somewhat expensive, but worth it. I've heard if you email them they will try to help you find a suitable set for your taste.

chromesphere

I would encourage listening to sound demos of different transistors.  There's a million different transistor models (and another million different factors), so probably don't over analyse too much, just pick one you can get at a reasonable price from a trusted source.  I have more sound demos on my channel but here's a quick test of about 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYOMjPmtMi4
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

dan.schumaker

I can vouch for buying transistors from Paul (chromesphere).  Great prices on great sounding transistors.  Never been dissapointed on parts from him  :)

K3yPr0gg3r

Good Idea! I forgot Paul had some. I get most of my passives from him anyway, and I'm expecting a shipment of resistors any day. Thanks Dan!

K3yPr0gg3r

Paul, viewed your shoot-out. I know I can get the AC125ks from you. I also liked the ASK12Ds, and the GT308Bs. I checked the Ebay site you specified, and he's got nothing for sale at this time. Not sure if I want to do business with Bulgaria either. I checked SB, but the transistors are listed in either a generic, (Fuzz Face PNP "The Continental", "All American", SINO -US, or "The Hornet") or technical, (D-3 PNP, 2SA269, 2SB77 Hitachi, etc.).

matmosphere

Damn, I didn't realize Paul had them. Those prices definitely beat the prices at small bear too.

chromesphere

Thanks guys, wasn't meant to be an advertisement but appreciate it all the same :)

There seems to be certain waves of interest in certain models.  Someone will report X model is good and then that model will become impossible to source as the stock gets bought up. 

With small bears general sets, you get what you get, he just matches geographically manufactured types.  Nothing wrong with that and im sure the set will sound great, just saying you cant choose the model.

A word of caution.  I see a lot of sellers on ebay selling transistors that are pre measured.  Often they are just using the peak dca 55 or 75 quick test function.  As a new owner of a peak 75 I can tell you that unless your measuring these with a specified base current the DCA will report a much higher gain on its quick test function then what you will get from the transistor in a FF circuit.  Its not the end of the world but there are a lot of germanium transistor testers out there that do it this way.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube