News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Another New One

Started by bcalla, April 01, 2016, 07:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

OK, I just posted about a Hofner bass I bought last week (here).  I sold an old mid-70s Aria bass to fund the Hofner.  I retired last year so I made a deal with my wife that a sale would always accompany a purchase.

Then this happened.

When I was in high school (graduated in 1970) there was another guitarist in the band I was in.  We jointly owned a bass and bass amp, and in each song one of us would play bass, the other would play guitar.

I played a white Strat, probably a 68.  Jim played a 1968 Guild Starfire V.  We both bought our guitars new; I sold mine in the early 70s, but Jim hung on to his.  He kept it out on a stand in his office hoping to play it again, but he had hand problems that made it too painful.

Jim texted me the other day that he was selling his Starfire & I could have first shot at it.  The answer was "when can I come get it?"  Fortunately I have an understanding wife, she realized that this was a one-time opportunity to buy something that is a part of my past.

It was pretty dusty and dirty, so I made a first pass at cleaning it when I put on a new set of strings.  It came out pretty good.  Jim babied it, so it has remarkably few dings and scratches for a 48 year old guitar.

I'm definitely going to stop now.   8)

Jebus

Damn that's a beautiful guitar! It looks like its brand new. :o Congratulations!

playpunk

Freaking perfect man. I'm a little jealous, but that guitar is 16 years older than I am.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

jimilee

Omg, that beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Nice!
Its not often you can buy a good condition vintage instrument and know its history. On top of that, its a Guild. Everyone wins.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

blearyeyes

That is beautiful. Love that you have history too, very cool.