News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mounting a 12AU7 tube inside an enclosure

Started by MarkL, April 03, 2016, 03:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkL

I'm planning to build up a Valvecaster using a nice compact vero layout I found, and there should be plenty of room in the enclosure to place the tube so that it doesn't stick out.  But I have no idea how to mount it securely inside.  Can anyone suggest a few reliable methods or the type of hardware (or MacGuyver-esque hacks) that will do the trick?

JackSkellington

Sorry, I can't help you, but it seems interesting. What is your layout?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

galaxiex

Tube socket mounted to a couple of "L" brackets? Maybe?
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

davent

Mount the socket to a plate, mount the plate to "L" brackets, "L" brackets to the enclosure, haven't done it in a diecast enclosure but have in chassis'.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

MarkL

Dave, thanks for those pics, that's exactly what I'll try to do.  When you mounted the tubes to those plates, how did you go about finding a plate with a hole that could accomodate the tube socket?  Or...did you drill the hole yourself?  (and if so, what size drill bit should I use if I were to try that?

Is an "L" bracket something I can just ask for at a hardware store, or at a place like Home Depot?  If there's an online resource where I can find them, I'd be grateful for anyone who can point me in that direction.

As for the layout -- I'm just using the one I found at the guitarFX layouts blog for the Valvecaster.  This whole thing is a little scary, but I'm willing to jump into the fray and give it a shot...

davent

For a plate, two are just pieces of 1/16" copperclad pcb and the eyelet board is 1/8" garolite. You could get "L" brackets at a hardware store, Home Depot for sure but i've  lengths of "L" channel aluminum i cut to needed length.

Holes were drilled with a big step bit, different brands of sockets, different sizes.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

MarkL

In one of the pics, the tubes have some orange rings around them...they look like shock protection type devices.  Did you make those too?

davent

Quote from: MarkL on April 03, 2016, 11:55:55 PM
In one of the pics, the tubes have some orange rings around them...they look like shock protection type devices.  Did you make those too?

Bought those, silicone "O" rings, vibration dampers in HiFi-speak.

dave