News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Socketing transistors

Started by Timko, March 21, 2016, 01:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I just finished the Supreaux Deux, and noticed something funny after boxing and testing it yesterday.  I get a really loud pop when I hit the footswitch hard, like something is moving then re-seating.  If I press the footswitch gently with my hand, no issue.  I also notice when I tap the top or shake it when the effect is engaged I get the same pops.  I assumed this was due to the fact that I socketed my resistors and didn't trim any of the leads.  I normally trim the leads, but had issues with a build I did a few months ago in relation to that.  The resistors weren't staying in their sockets and kept falling out.  So I was wondering if there's some specific technique people use for socketing these and bending them to they remain seated when you're using the pedal.  Thanks!

Jebus

Sometimes if I have components that don't fit the socket perfectly I solder one of the leads into the socket after I have decided which component to put in there. That way the component is still replaceable but it wont fall out.

jimilee

Quote from: Jebus on March 21, 2016, 02:04:16 PM
Sometimes if I have components that don't fit the socket perfectly I solder one of the leads into the socket after I have decided which component to put in there. That way the component is still replaceable but it wont fall out.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Solder them to the socket. There is no substitute. Everything else will work itself loose eventually.

If you're using something as a prototype or development board, it's fine to leave them unsoldered. If something is going out the door to be used at a gig or to demonstrate the pedal, solder it. You can always build another.

Jebus

Do you guys do it for ICs also by the way? I've never had a IC drop out of the socket, but now I'm thinking its better to be safe than sorry. :D

Timko

Thanks guys :).  This makes a lot of sense.

jtaormina

Quote from: Jebus on March 21, 2016, 03:48:36 PM
Do you guys do it for ICs also by the way? I've never had a IC drop out of the socket, but now I'm thinking its better to be safe than sorry. :D

I typically socket transistors and ICs. I've never had one fall out. They are always very tight. I've had bad ones now and then and I don't have the right solder tip to remove things with more than a couple pins. If something is suspect it's easy to pop it out and test vs desolder. Desoldering 8 IC legs is like smashing it with a hammer to me. I'm just not set up to remove them without destroying them.

Timko

I put a bit of solder on each of the transistor sockets last night, and bam!  The problem is gone.  Thanks for the help!