News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big box multi circuit OD/Distortion box

Started by turkeypills, March 13, 2016, 11:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeypills

Hello madbean world.

A little intro, I have lurked these forums for the past year or so absorbing the knowledge of the hive mind. My skills are novice, but every project has been a learning experience. I've built a few successful fuzz pedals and a quasi successful envelope filter.

I want to push myself and build something more complex. I've had an idea brewing for several months and have just collected all of the requisite PCBs for the project. I want to build a Slow Loris and (rullywow king tut or an aion OCD clone) ran in parallel and blended via a JMK paralyzer. All of this will be ran in the loop of a JMK panner as a clean blend. 4 pcbs in a box for an "ultimate" bass OD/distortion.

Are there any things I should be weary of? Potential power supply noise/issues? Do I wire the power to each PCB in series or parallel? With the LED, that would make for 5 wires coming off the DC jack. I'll probably reduce that to 4 by using the LED pads on the panner PCB.

Finally, a general noob question. When build docs tell me I can omit a component such as R10 on the Slow Loris, do I simply leave the pads empty or do I jumper them?

Thanks for any and all insight. This has been an idea clouding other ideas for a while and after hearing Fuzzrocious's recent Bongripper limited edition pedal which is essentially a Cat tail and Demon in parallel with a blend and baked in EQ, I decided to put the plan in action.

Mike

jimilee

Use a wiring stomp board to run parallel power and ground, a lot of them have pads on both sides along with led pads. 1776 and lectric -fx are two that come to mind. You shouldn't have any issues with the boards themselves unless you turn them all on at the same time, real noise fest. When the build docs say omit a component, don't jumper unless there is a note somewhere. Slow loris is great for bass, my favorite is a green Russian muff as far as fuzz goes. Also a modified Klon sounds great also. For overdrives, the big bass overdrive can't really be be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

turkeypills

The intent is to have all of the boards on at once.

Two dirt circuits ran in parallel via paralyzer all within the loop of a clean blend.

Thanks for the tip regarding jumpers.

EBRAddict

If noise becomes an issue consider using shielded send/return wiring to the boards from the footswitches and between footswitches. Ground the shields on one side but not both.

john_p_wi

Mind your signal phase(s) and ground loops.