Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Restoration - Hollow Ibanez 1972

Started by George, March 08, 2016, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

Quote from: George on March 09, 2016, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: Timko on March 09, 2016, 04:53:49 PM
It's totally hollow?!  I don't see a lot of 335 shaped guitars that aren't semis.
Totally hollow!

If you ever want to part with it please give me a ring.  I am a total sucker for hollow bodies.

galaxiex

Quote from: George on March 09, 2016, 10:24:42 AM
Quote from: galaxiex on March 09, 2016, 12:19:37 AM
Very nice!

I restore... that is... fix-up and make playable, cheap Japanese guitars (Teisco, Silvertone etc).

Most, actually all of them, need re-fretting as the original frets are often painfully small.

I'm curious how you shimmed the neck.
Did you add or subtract wood from the neck pocket?
Thanks!

First you have to make the neck pocket as flat so you have a stable neck that sits flat on the guitar so i substracted a miniscule ammount of wood from the pocket (you can see this on the photo with the ruler).

Then you have to create the angle of the neck - this is tricky because the neck has to be slighlty (maybe 1 degree) backwards (a lot of people put a thick pick under the neck as shim). I cut a thin piece of wood and make it gradually thinner on the one end and then draw BMO on it :P you can see in the pictures the profil of the neck shim. So i add wood in the form of a shim :) i hope this reply makes sence

Thanks very much! Yes it makes sense.

At first I couldn't see it in the pictures (my old guy eyes I guess) but now that you described it, I get it. :)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

George

Quote from: Timko on March 09, 2016, 07:18:52 PM
Quote from: George on March 09, 2016, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: Timko on March 09, 2016, 04:53:49 PM
It's totally hollow?!  I don't see a lot of 335 shaped guitars that aren't semis.
Totally hollow!

If you ever want to part with it please give me a ring.  I am a total sucker for hollow bodies.

I ll tell my friend that and in case he want to part with it i ll pm you :)