News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone here do sand blasting and or powder coating?

Started by flanagan0718, March 04, 2016, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey guys,
   I picked up another Line 6 FM4 to mod. This time i want to have the enclosure stripped and powder coated. Anyone here do that type of thing? Maybe someone close to me, I'm in Massachusetts. Either reply here or PM me. Thanks guys!

-Mike-

stevie1556

For the sand blasting it maybe worth having a local engineering company do it for you. As long as it's small enough to fit in someone's oven then it can easily be done. I would offer but I'm on the other side of the pond so postage wouldn't be great, but if you do get stuck give me a shout.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

wgc

I moved recently and don't have sand blasting or powder coating atm. But some possible options:

You can chemically strip it yourself. Then have it powder coated. Much cheaper.

Or, if it's powder coated already, which seems likely, a good powder coater can likely powder coat right over existing.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

flanagan0718

Quote from: wgc on March 04, 2016, 11:18:09 PM

You can chemically strip it yourself. Then have it powder coated. Much cheaper.

Or, if it's powder coated already, which seems likely, a good powder coater can likely powder coat right over existing.

I do think I have some paint stripped in the shop. Not sure if it will take powder coating off tho. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtaormina

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Jasco-1-Gallon-Semi-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/3586548

This will remove powder coat. It's nasty as hell. Do it outside. Wear a mask. Wear gloves. I can't remember the name of the chemical but it's the one that can soften powder coat paint. It also softens skin clean off the bone. No seriously it does burn like a mofo. Wear thick chemical gloves.

I do powder coating sometimes at home but it's colder than a witches titty outside right now. So my equipment is put up at the moment. I painted one of these for another member on here. It takes a bit more paint than the average enclosure. It will fit in a fairly typical toaster oven to bake.

flanagan0718

Quote from: jtaormina on March 05, 2016, 02:32:28 AM
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Jasco-1-Gallon-Semi-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/3586548

This will remove powder coat. It's nasty as hell. Do it outside. Wear a mask. Wear gloves. I can't remember the name of the chemical but it's the one that can soften powder coat paint. It also softens skin clean off the bone. No seriously it does burn like a mofo. Wear thick chemical gloves.

I do powder coating sometimes at home but it's colder than a witches titty outside right now. So my equipment is put up at the moment. I painted one of these for another member on here. It takes a bit more paint than the average enclosure. It will fit in a fairly typical toaster oven to bake.

Yeah maybe I'll check around here for some shops that sand blast. It's pretty cold here too, we just got snow today. Maybe I'll wait and have the powder coat done later or something.

wgc

There are soy and citrus based strippers that work but with a lot less toxicity.

There's an aerosol called citristrip at Home Depot that takes a while but works fine. Spray on your part, leave in a ziplock bag overnight at about room temp (basement is fine). It will soften the coating for easy scraping. Might have to do this twice to get sides that maybe were not in solution the whole time.

The soy gel stuff isn't cheap but works great and it's faster. I think it's at rockler.

I'd avoid the jasco stuff if at all possible.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jtaormina

If you strip most of the paint off and you re-coat it with a vein or hammer tone you can cover some of the reminents of old paint or any imperfections. I'm not sure about that citrus stipper, try it. That jasco stuff is very harsh but it does work.