News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Envirotex and drilling for LEDs

Started by benlanc, March 01, 2016, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benlanc

I did my first Envirotex pour on an enclosure this week. Very pleased with the result - nice and thick, no runs, lovely glassy finish. Only slight niggle is some soot got on the finish. I didn't have a 'torch to smooth out the bubbles, so I used a lighter. Big mistake.

Anyway, I tried to get the 3mm LED through the hole I'd drilled for it, except it doesn't fit anymore. I daren't try and open it up with a file for fear of lifting the Envirotex. A drill also seems a little heavy handed, but may be the only option.

Any pointers?

Martan

Hi

Did you pour envirotex around the holes? I would usually put painters tape on the underside of all the holes and fill them first with envirotex and then do the rest of the top. After about 3 days I then drill out the holes again with a step bit. Use a sharp bit, light pressure and go slowly and you should be fine. THere is a danger of lifting a bit, but go slow and you should be alright. Or not ;)

Marty

alparent

Trim downward with a fresh x-acto blade?
Never tried this, so it's just a suggestion.
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

as long as it's properly cured, drilling is not a big problem. just go slow, preferrably with a 'stepless step drill'. No idea how this would be called correctly... you know, one of those cone shaped drills without discrete steps. I use a regular step drill bit without problems, but have heard the stepless is even safer in terms of lifting the Enviro
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Jebus

I don't know how well it works for such a small hole, but I managed to increase a stomp switch hole with a reamer (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Taper_reamer_K-442.jpg#/media/File:Taper_reamer_K-442.jpg ). I had accidentally drilled only a 12mm hole to the enclosure before applying decal and Envirotex. Worked out perfectly. No lifting at all.

I think the most important to avoid lifting is to let it dry for a really long time. I have ruined couple enclosures when trying to drill them after four or five days. Nowadays I let them to dry at least a week, preferably more. :)

TNblueshawk

If you drill put it in reverse and go slow.

But, I've been cutting out holes for years with an exacto. I trim downward and am just real careful. I usually wait for it to cure for 3-4 days and then I trim. Any sooner and it is not cured enough and you can leave finger prints. Too much longer and it it cured and it is much harder and thus shaving it out of the hole is harder.

Make sure you flick any specs of Tex' off as you drill or shave. If you don't they sort of adhere to the enclosure again.

By the way you can blow on those bubbles too and many times they pop. I do use a torch but lighty or you will end up putting a "skin" coat on it if you lay that heat on there too long.
John