News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Plugged in power before plugging in the ic what did I break

Started by matmosphere, February 05, 2016, 02:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm trying to trouble shoot a Timmy build. I plugged everything in and.. nothing. I quickly realized I had not put the ic in the socket. I corrected it but still nothing. Did I mess something up by doing this. I feel like without the IC current shouldn't be flowing, except through the power filtering section. but I haven't been able to find any other issues.

kgull

Nothing bad should happen by forgetting an IC, should just not get any sound. Only thing I can think off hand would be that some capacitors built up enough of a charge and the IC got enough of a shock to fry it when you plugged it in :-\ Make sure you don't have a dead chip then start posting voltages :P

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

matmosphere

Couldn't find a list of voltages, does anybody have them handy?

I have a tl072 in it right now, because I was trying out a few chips to make sure that wasn't the problem. This is what I measured

1 9.21
2 5.07
3 5.07
4 5.02
5 0
6 4.64
7 5.07
8 5.07

Any thoughts?

HamSandwich

either you labeled the pins backwards, or your IC is in backwards.

matmosphere

Quote from: HamSandwich on February 05, 2016, 09:34:55 PM
either you labeled the pins backwards, or your IC is in backwards.

Oops, I labeled them backwards. Good catch thanks. I should have written down the pins with the readings.. FAIL

Lets try this again

1 - 5.17
2 - 5.07
3 - 4.64
4 - 0
5 - 5.02
6 - 5.07
7 - 5.07
8 - 9.21

HamSandwich

Without a link to a schematic, or even the layout you used, can't say for sure, but they are typical voltages for a TL072. Likely a wiring problem, but without pictures, or a schematic or layout, hard to tell. Audio probe is a good way to continue your trouble shooting.

matmosphere

jimilee

In the meantime, check your values and reflow everything. You'd be amazed how many times that fixes things. After over 3 or 4 years of building, I had to do that 2 days ago. Makes me feel silly every time I do it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gtr2

Voltages look good.  An audio probe is your best friend :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

matmosphere

Got it, thanks guys. The problem was actually a bad solder joint in my crappy testing rig.  :P

matmosphere

I'm glad I thought to check the testing rig. I could have been troubleshooting thec Timmy for days.

jimilee

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 06, 2016, 12:29:43 AM
Got it, thanks guys. The problem was actually a bad solder joint in my crappy testing rig.  :P
That's a new one, I haven't seen that one yet.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.