News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seeking advice for buying a PC

Started by drolo, February 03, 2016, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

Quote from: kgull on February 04, 2016, 01:19:10 PM
As a suggestion, try linux on your old mac. Ubuntu is a great linux distro if you've never used linux before. Might help breathe a bit of new life into an old machine.

Oh I tried .... I can't get a single distro to start installing or even to boot from the DVD. I must say I have an external firewire DVD drive since the internal one broke (twice ..) that might have to do with it...

matmosphere

Quote from: drolo on February 04, 2016, 05:11:32 PM
As a suggestion, try linux on your old mac. Ubuntu is a great linux distro if you've never used linux before. Might help breathe a bit of new life into an old machine.

Oh I tried .... I can't get a single distro to start installing or even to boot from the DVD. I must say I have an external firewire DVD drive since the internal one broke (twice ..) that might have to do with it...

I think there are some Linux builds that you can start up from a usb drive or an external hard drive. I've never tried putting Linux on a Mac but I'd think it could be done.

287m

if just want 'try', use virtual box or vmware. i always use linux distro for my sp*mmy work  ;D
yes, vb/vmware is slow in hdd, its why ssd+big ram is so 2 thumbsup.
my family and friend who use thinkpad (oh its notebook :( *sorry*) and mac, never buy new pc/notebook again. just upgrade ssd+max allowed memory. its enough, never regret

my noob advice, i prefer debian more than ubuntu
more stable and not too much resource
yeah, debian is mother of ubuntu
the analogy, if daughter beauty, the mom is sooooo hot, experienced and loooooong time to play
;D

Febri, former sp*mmer and milf hunter  ;)

kgull

Quote from: 287m on February 04, 2016, 05:29:32 PMmy noob advice, i prefer debian more than ubuntu
more stable and not too much resource
yeah, debian is mother of ubuntu
the analogy, if daughter beauty, the mom is sooooo hot, experienced and loooooong time to play
;D
Totally agree, Ubuntu is basically Debian with training wheels (tho I'm and Arch guy myself). Ubuntu is a wonderful distro to start with though, mainly because of their community.

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 04, 2016, 05:16:28 PM
Quote from: drolo on February 04, 2016, 05:11:32 PM

I think there are some Linux builds that you can start up from a usb drive or an external hard drive. I've never tried putting Linux on a Mac but I'd think it could be done.
Yep, check out this (or this if your on windows) if you want to give it a shot.

drolo

I had actually tried that but they would not boot either. After doing some research I had read that it had to do with the particular bios in my imac or something, eventually I gave up as it was taking too much time with the fiddling :-)