News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alexander Pedals Amnesia Delay

Started by selfdestroyer, April 09, 2015, 05:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Amnesia Delay? Sounds like something I'd build with all the odd parts laying around that I can't remember why I ordered ;D

DisasterArea

I'll chime in on this one, if I may.

The Amnesia and our other three DSP pedals do use the FV-1.  I've been programming that chip since '06, go peep the Spin forum for posts by "pharaohamps."  I do know a little bit about this stuff, and while the PT2399 was an appealing choice I didn't feel that it would be the right way to go.

The different modes are based on a few different delay units that I really dig.  Each mode has different filtering / frequency response, saturation character, and feedback characteristics.  I couldn't really call the modes the same names as the units they represent, so I used the delay chip designators.  It gets people talking, that's for sure!

Could I have done an analog version with the same setup?  Hell yes.  Controlling a few analog switches to bring each delay in and out of the audio path is easy.  You'd also need a couple of CMOS buffers to prevent the BBDs from loading down the clock signals, not a big deal.  But there's a lot in favor of the FV-1, long delay times for a start.  ~1000 milliseconds of analog delay becomes prohibitively expensive and I wanted to keep the price point down.  Using the same board for three different pedals keeps the development costs low as well.  Lower prices for me = lower prices for you.

Go ahead, buy an Amnesia and tell me it doesn't stack up vs. a DMM.  You won't hurt my feelings.  But you might find that they are similar enough where it counts!

Any other questions about the line, please ask.  I'm always happy to nerd out about pedals.

culturejam

Thanks for posting. Looks like a really kick-ass pedal.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

TGP39

Thanks Matthew. I really dig your designs and what your company is all about. I've just starting programming the FV-1. Lots and lots to learn. I'm going to check this delay pedal out and many of us here would love to learn more about FV-1 based circuits.
Thanks again.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

alanp

Props for responding man :)

One very good thing about the FV-1 is that firmware is a lot harder to reverse engineer than traditional componentry.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Thanks for the info Mathew, I am just getting my feet wet with the FV-1 at the moment. So far I have done a pretty decent chorus and delay combo but nothing life changing. I have to say that the switch names is what got me wondering what black magic you were using but I was leaning towards DSP like other here. Thanks for stopping by and explaining your pedal to us.

Another FV-1 pedal that I really dig right now is the Black Fountain Delay. FV-1 can make some great/unique sounding modulation pedals for sure.

Cody

DisasterArea

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 18, 2015, 04:52:08 AM
Another FV-1 pedal that I really dig right now is the Black Fountain Delay. FV-1 can make some great/unique sounding modulation pedals for sure.

http://www.oldbloodnoise.com/about-obne-contact/

See if you can guess who designed that one.

micromegas

Quote from: DisasterArea on April 18, 2015, 12:22:26 PM

Kudos for your designs man. OBNE FV-1 pedals are quite original and the Amnesia delay sounds really cool.
One question if you don't mind.... is the Equilibrium FV-1 based too?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

DisasterArea

Quote from: micromegas on April 18, 2015, 01:42:00 PM

Kudos for your designs man. OBNE FV-1 pedals are quite original and the Amnesia delay sounds really cool.

The kudos belong to Brady Smith just as much as me.  I design, then we get our heads together and tweak.  That dude comes up with stuff I never would have thought of, like the flanger reverb on the Procession.

The Equilibrium is indeed FV-1 based as are our next two pedals due this summer.

micromegas

Quote from: DisasterArea on April 18, 2015, 05:38:48 PM
Quote from: micromegas on April 18, 2015, 01:42:00 PM

The kudos belong to Brady Smith just as much as me.  I design, then we get our heads together and tweak.  That dude comes up with stuff I never would have thought of, like the flanger reverb on the Procession.

The Equilibrium is indeed FV-1 based as are our next two pedals due this summer.
Thanks for the quick reply Matthew. Congrats to Brady too :) I think OBNE stuff is really interesting.

I see the FV-1 as a chip with a really great potential. It has some limitations but also some good features and that's what makes it interesting.

There's another FV-1 tremolo that I know of - Coldcraft's Harmonic tremolo (Austin is a member here too). Both Coldcraft's and yours sound awesome but I really liked the flexibility your design seems to have (only heard it on youtube).

Looking forward to see your new designs.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io