Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Orion Echo Machine (3-in-1)

Started by Stomptown, April 13, 2015, 01:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Quote from: TGP39 on April 13, 2015, 07:40:01 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on April 13, 2015, 01:33:20 AM
It's a 1590DD. I could've squeezed another circuit in there if it were a 1590D but even then I don't fancy the idea of non-pcb mounted pots.

I grew up thinking double D's were bigger than D's... ;D  I really love that Aquaboy board. The inside was perfectly planned and executed jon. It looks like your hundredth Multi!  How did you do the front? It looks like a light etch and then you brushed the aluminum. It looks super cool. LED placement is well thought out too. I give this build two thumbs up. Lol. Awesome job.

Steve.

You pretty much nailed it on the head!  I did not intent to have a light etch, but it wasn't as deep as I'd hoped.  To get the brushed appearance I just use a sanding block with a 80 to 100 grit sand paper and sand at an angle.  I started doing this because it hides fingerprints really well. 

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

29palms

That's really impressive, everything looks perfect!

selfdestroyer

Damn Jon, that came out fantastic. I love the layout and of the knobs and LEDs and the simplicity of the artwork is perfect for this. This is definitely another build of yours that makes it in my "inspiration" folder.

Cody

Leevibe

This is so masterful Jon! I think with this choice of effects, you could be twisting knobs for a long time and always be coming up with something new. I like pedals that you can get lost in for a while. I'm sure this is one of them. And it's beautiful to behold, inside and out. I also want to say that I really love the PCB layout of the Trailfazer. Those standing resistors looks really cool. And, you know I'm a Blazer fan, so the name is great too.  ;)

Stomptown

Quote from: Leevibe on April 14, 2015, 01:51:37 AM
This is so masterful Jon! I think with this choice of effects, you could be twisting knobs for a long time and always be coming up with something new. I like pedals that you can get lost in for a while. I'm sure this is one of them. And it's beautiful to behold, inside and out. I also want to say that I really love the PCB layout of the Trailfazer. Those standing resistors looks really cool. And, you know I'm a Blazer fan, so the name is great too.  ;)

Speaking of the trailblazers, what is going on with all the injuries?  This is obvioulsy not our year!

Leevibe

Quote from: Stomptown on April 14, 2015, 03:09:56 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on April 14, 2015, 01:51:37 AM

Speaking of the trailblazers, what is going on with all the injuries?  This is obvioulsy not our year!

Geez. It's getting ridiculous.

rm77

Awesome! So the power connects to the corresponding pad on each foot switch PCB, and then wires run to each effect PCB separately? I have been wondering about the best way to handle power wiring in a multi-effect after struggling with it a little in the 2 in 1 I just did...I think I also saw somewhere that some people will use a small piece of perf as sort of a power board for routing power to multiple PCBs.

Do you think the 1590DD could reasonably accommodate 4 foot switches, or would it be too tight?

Stomptown

Quote from: rm77 on April 14, 2015, 07:57:13 PM
Awesome! So the power connects to the corresponding pad on each foot switch PCB, and then wires run to each effect PCB separately? I have been wondering about the best way to handle power wiring in a multi-effect after struggling with it a little in the 2 in 1 I just did...I think I also saw somewhere that some people will use a small piece of perf as sort of a power board for routing power to multiple PCBs.

Do you think the 1590DD could reasonably accommodate 4 foot switches, or would it be too tight?

That's exactly right!  The power and grounds are all connected through the 3pdt PCBs as are the LED (except for the delay in the middle which has an onboard LED).  I honestly wanted to build it without the 3pdt daughterboards as I like the look of clean wiring directly connected to the switch but it doesn't seem very practical to do it otherwise in a multi.  You could definitely use a small piece of stripboard to connect all of your power and grounds but it would require longer runs of wire and could get messy quick. That being said, it will work perfectly if you go that route.

4 switches is just a bit too tight for my liking but it's totally possible and not really that bad.  It's virtually the same as having 2 switches on the short edge of a 1590BB but doubled.  I have a strong aversion to building without PCB mounted pots so I would personally go with a larger enclosure, such as a 1550g so I could potentially mount all pots to the PCBs without too much effort.  However, it's highly possible 4 PCBs would not fit side by side in a 1550g but I'm not really certain at this point and think it depends on the PCBs.

peAk

Stomptown

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 13, 2015, 07:13:52 PM
Damn Jon, that came out fantastic. I love the layout and of the knobs and LEDs and the simplicity of the artwork is perfect for this. This is definitely another build of yours that makes it in my "inspiration" folder.

Cody

Thanks Cody!   :)

micromegas

How could I miss this one? This build is awesome Jon.
I'm preparing an order right now to build your Trailfazer phaser, pretty much my favourite layout ever :).
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io