News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with some jacks...

Started by k.rock!, June 25, 2011, 03:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

Ok, I feel like a super noob asking this question but I'm about to throw my pedal out the window.

Can anybody shed some light about working with these jacks? I have never worked with enclosed jacks like this.

So first off I accidentally bought them with the wrong terminals but no big deal, cause I'm soldering to them anyways. My question is, how do I work with these? Do I have to connect to a specific side of the jack? Do they need to be jumpered so then it doesn't matter which side I'm on? Should I not jumper them?

Any help would be great! Thanks guys.

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

gtr2

This is an isolated switched stereo jack.  You can use it like a normal jack if you hook to the side that remains in contact with the plug when it is inserted.  Plug in a 1/4 cable to understand that last statement.  Remember this plug won't ground through the enclosure so you'll need to connect jack grounds.  Also, to shield the enclosure you'll have to connect to a pot casing or screw terminal mounted to the enclosure. 

I use these for expression pedal jacks where you don't want it grounding to the enclosure.  The pot goes on the non switched side and the wire from the pcb (for the pot) go on the switched side.  So when an exp cable is plugged in it bypasses the pot and goes to the expression pedal instead.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

k.rock!

Thanks for replying Josh!

Yes, I was aware of the grounding of the jacks but was suspicious about one side having contact with the plug and the other wasn't. I actually just decided to go with the open frame jacks cause it seems like more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'm going to post an issue I'm having with the Mangler, feel free to help if you want haha thanks man! I really appreciate it!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com