News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass VI vs Bariton

Started by drolo, March 25, 2015, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on March 26, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
Customs seems to be totally random in the UK. I think they just pick one box out of ten to apply a fee too  ;)

From a less personal perspective... I agree with customs fees and I don't really have a problem with it.

However, finding UK/EU alternatives to certain suppliers can be a real ball ache (eg. a UK/EU Warmoth alternative).

I don't £15 is an insanely low limit and if you go over by £1 say, you're taxed on the £16, not the £1 you were over, AND charged £8 for the priviledge of taxing you.

If the system was in any way fair I might not have an issue with it. But it isn't. So I do.

For big purchases you're screwed and just have to bite the bullet.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

drolo

Maybe we should dedicate a section of the international swearing thread to customs :-)

micromegas

A friend of mine bought a second-hand Suhr Gutrhie Govan from a guy in USA.
When it arrived here, Spanish customs told him to pay the taxes and he refused to. A month later the guitar appeared at his door.

It was risky, but I've heard similar stories. Maybe the don't have enough room for everything.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lincolnic

Quote from: raulduke on March 26, 2015, 09:50:51 AM
Would I be right in saying the baritone was the guitar used in a lot of spaghetti western soundtracks?

You would be absolutely right.

raulduke

Quote from: lincolnic on March 27, 2015, 03:41:13 AM
Would I be right in saying the baritone was the guitar used in a lot of spaghetti western soundtracks?

Gaaargh I knew it.... I want one even more now... must resist!

micromegas

Quote from: raulduke on March 27, 2015, 11:01:20 AM
Quote from: lincolnic on March 27, 2015, 03:41:13 AM

Gaaargh I knew it.... I want one even more now... must resist!
I've heard the same of the bass VI.... those guys were creative :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

neve1272

this is my bari they made it for a few years in early 2003-5? maybe....they came as a bass 6 style e-e i restrung to b-b so i can do fast chords ect.
i have gone g-g it was the perfect mix of bass and guitar ....i found e-e to be just too low to play the way i wanted and hear every thing but garbled
    ive a Gibson classic Les Paul, j-200, fender jazz master , great guitars,  and this Japanese 600 dollar one ...this is my favorite 
Kip

29palms

dunno if you're still making your mind up David, but here's my thoughts—

I've got a Squier Bass VI. It sounds great, has that Fender single coil sound and has a low-cut switch that helps clean up chords on the lower strings. It's got a 30" scale which you'll need if you want to tune E-E.

I've got mine tuned A-A, which took some getting used to but you're right, it does open up new tonal possibilities...

The nut and bridge are shite and will be replaced when I get some cash. It was a bitch to intonate and I've read a lot of people had real grief intonating it tuned E-E.

Definitely worth it though, sounds great with some term/reverb!

It's discussed in exhaustive detaile here— http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/21722/

I've also got a Gretsch Baritone with a 29.5"scale, so it can be tuned E-E  but I've got it A-A. Comes with mini humbuckers and sounds more piano-like than the Squier. Also has a licensed Bigsby which sounds gorgeous, strings are a real pain in the arse to change though.

I would recommend either of these as they can be tuned E-E, B-B, A-A or whatever and are great fun to play. You may not be able to get E-E with the shorter 27"-28" baritone necks.

ta
George

drolo

I am tending more towards a 30" scale neck at the moment. With this I can decide whether I tune it down to E or more like a bariton. (maybe I can even use a capo ..? ).

Chandler

May I introduce to you, the Schecter Hellcat VI!

It has a 30 inch scale, just like the Bass VI, aswell as the 3 pickups (except the Hellcat VIs are tap-able humbuckers). For added oldschool vibe, get one in 3 tone sunburst:smug: .

I just ordered one the other day, and had a thread up about it yesterday aswell. As soon as I get it, and get used to the instrument, I will record soundclips (although they won't be the best quality) and give you a review. Hopefully I will get it before my gig thats comming up, in which case I will have mroe pictures and a more in depth review:bassist: . PM me if you have any questions, and be sure to check out the thread I started, "It's official, Hellcat VI coming my way!" or something like that.

Chandler