News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGTBD

Started by lars, April 08, 2015, 12:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Just got the Siamese Dream guitar tab book from 1994 (finally). I knew those songs were complex, but I had no idea the half of it! Multiple guitar tracks with each guitar tuned differently (flat, sharp, out of tune, whatever felt right), multiple reverse tape loops, overdubs, tape flanging everywhere, on top of just random accidents with gear...OY! Despite the album being full of octaves, only one song used an octave pedal, all the rest was the result of multiple guitar tracks. Mixing that album must have been a nightmare.
The sheet music is in there too, and some of the guitar parts look ridiculous. It's like a Jackson Pollock painting in notes.
A lot of useful info in there though on how to try to play those song correctly (I know I've been butchering them like crazy). How was I supposed to know the guitar was tuned Eb, Bb, Bb, Gb, Bb, D on that song :-\? The micro-synth was definitely a key player in the sound of that album as per Corgan's notes.

peAk

I definitely loved that album when it came out. I still feel it's their best album.

I kind of drifted away from them after/during Mellon Collie. About 6 months ago, I got a copy of Oceania and it grew on me.

The latest stuff I have heard with Tommy Lee playing drums just didn't do it for me. At least Mike Byrne played like Jimmy.

Anyway, back on Siamese, some of the guitar tones on that record are just amazing. The million Ebows on Soma is just heavenly.

lars

Yeah, i felt the oceania lineup was pretty good, and was looking forward to another album from them. I watched the new lineup live on the tonight show, and it was meh. Just not right without a female bassist.