News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Built my first madbean pedal the other day, it's a sunking-very nice!

Started by cgoodson, June 12, 2011, 12:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgoodson

This is my first time posting here, just want to tell everyone hi.

I must say the quality of the pc boards sold here are excellent.  The build was very easy following the pdf file and the markings on the board.  This was my first time using a double sided board, pretty cool!

Before I got started or ordered any parts I read a lot of the posts on here just to see how it went for others and for recommended substitutions.  I ended up subbing c15 with a 6n8 for smoother treble.  For the oddball .39uf I just paralleled a .33 and a .068 which was close enough for me.  For a couple of the resistors I had to pair up some in series to get the right values but since I used carbon comps those were actually closer to the right value than the single ones.  Oh, and I went with 1n270's for the diodes but did socket them for experimenting on down the line.

I think this is a great pedal(whether it sounds like a klon or not).  It blows away any sort of overdrive I've had thus far  and I've owned/built a lot of them.  Some people don't like them, I don't know what to say about that, just different tastes I suppose.  It sounds awesome with my amp(blackface vibrolux reverb clone) the boost on tap really gives it a good kick in the ass.  I read somewhere that it boosts the mids a bit, to my ears it does seem to make the tone a bit punchier in that area.  I'm just glad it didn't have the ts mid-range hump as I wasn't looking for that at all.  It's a shame the boards aren't going to be offered here anymore, I will probably have a few friends wanting one after they hear it, too bad for them because they ain't getting mine... 

Smeero

cgoodson

I can't believe I said I used carbon comps but I was sort of tired when I typed that.  I probably wouldn't use those for anything but they do look nice in old amps.  What I meant was 5% carbon films, good old crappy ones from ratshack.  They were all over the place when I measured them, same thing with the electrolytic caps.  A lot of the time I don't think being too precise matters that much with guitar pedals, like using metal films and such.  I've built pedals with either and in the end it never really seems to make much difference.  Whatever difference it does make I think just adds to the pedals individual character.

mjcyates

Glad to hear your build went well. The sunking is a great pedal, I have built several of them.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Welcome to our forum!
Thats all good to hear! I still have yet to populate mine but its up there on my list. It is unfortunate that MB is no longer providing the PCB's but you could learn how to etch as one option and there is a vero layout on FSB you could give a shot. There's a long thread about it and I'm pretty sure its verified by now.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals