News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

heterodyning?

Started by sikmunky, March 01, 2015, 02:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Quote from: juansolo on March 02, 2015, 09:12:44 AM
I think the Electric Mistress might be the issue with this one... I have a feeling you'll have trouble with that just based on how it behaves when tested out of a box (it really doesn't like it). Not so much heterodyning, more the fact that it needs to be inside a box before you set it up, so it really likes having the shielding... That's the one I'd be wary of (it wouldn't be my choice for a multi).

The delay hasn't got a clock but the phaser has. The only trouble I've had with an analogue delay in a multi was fitting it in with a CE-2. That was the first time I had two charge pumps heterodyning. So I tried running the pair of them from one charge pump, which didn't have enough grunt. In the end I went with one effect at 9v and the other at 15v

As I say, the slower speed clocks are unlikely to cause any issues. It's not impossible, it's just unlikely.
Just to clarify, Analog Delay does have a clock, PT2399 delays too but it's not usually an issue for us. The phaser doesn't (only PWM phasers do) it has an LFO which is a source for tick but not heterodyning.

With 2 charge pumps without very good layout they will interact as they're at the same frequency, which is why the LT1054 has pins to adjust the clock so you could use two but you'd then have to worry about the clock of the flanger, chorus or delay reaching the same frequency and interacting.

So with a flanger and delay you probably wont have issues as the flanger clock is likely a lot higher than a delay clock, but a delay and a chorus work in the same range so are more of a cause for concern. A charge pump is usually in the 25-45kHz range clock wise so that's a problem for delay and chorus, but both can work in one build, it's really down to power, layout and luck.
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

Indeed, and nailed on.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jimilee

Quote from: mcallisterra on March 03, 2015, 03:52:55 AM
I was planning a Rub a Dub reverb with a Smoothie on the wet signal soon - is this something that could be expected with those two combined?
pure awesomeness!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.