News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Handtool Upgrade (Erem 2422E)

Started by chromesphere, February 10, 2015, 02:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

I've been using some pretty cr@ppy handtools since I started this hobby X years ago.  I know their cr@ppy.  its just a matter of "oh yeah, I'm gunna get those awesome pliers/sidecutters/wirestrippers etc" but always gets put on the back burner until they break to a point of not functioning as intended or they turn to dust.

But I recently bought a pair of Erem 2422e sidecutters.  They were on ebay cheap: (A link for those in Oz that want an awesome pair of sidecutters!) new without the box, I think the guy sells jewellery making supplies or something.  Anyway, they really do kick some serious backside.  They take zero effort to use and cut like a laser!

Im looking at upgrade my pliers next, looking at Erem again, im just so impressed with the sidecutters.  I think Dave (pickdropper) recommended some in the thread he started that prompted me to finally upgrade my sidecutters.  Fine and general purpose tweezers and wire strippers are also on the list.

So anyway, this thread isn't a question as such just discussion.  Your favourite tool?  If yo have any Erem handtools your impression?  Your favourite handtool brand? etc.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pickdropper

I have a bit of an Erem addition.  I have at least 15 of them, probably more.  I stopped counting.  I've got at least 3 pairs of the 2422e cutters.  Very good cutters for soft metals.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

Looking at either the needlenose (2411p) or flat nose (2442p) pliers next.  Cant decide which I think would be more useful.  The question is of course, whats the task?  Well...I use my pliers for everything!  routing wires, bending leads...tightening small nuts...(WHAT!!).  Sometimes im lazy.  Pretty sure my Erem pliers wont be doing any of that though lol

Erem stuffs amazing.  Once you read through that catalogue you start to realise how well engineered their gear is (medical, astro, watch making etc).

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on February 10, 2015, 02:58:34 AM
Looking at either the needlenose (2411p) or flat nose (2442p) pliers next.  Cant decide which I think would be more useful.  The question is of course, whats the task?  Well...I use my pliers for everything!  routing wires, bending leads...tightening small nuts...(WHAT!!).  Sometimes im lazy.  Pretty sure my Erem pliers wont be doing any of that though lol

Erem stuffs amazing.  Once you read through that catalogue you start to realise how well engineered their gear is (medical, astro, watch making etc).

Personally, I think the 2411 are too long.  I have them at work and they aren't my preference.  I prefer the 542.  They are shorter, but are better for fine work (which is what the Erem pliers are made for anyway).  If you use pliers to work with a lot of harder materials then I would recommend a different brand.  Also, the Erem pliers have a limited jaw width.  They say it's for ergonomic reasons, but I find it gets in the way at times.  I like mine, but they don't work for all of my plier needs. 
Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

I can't recall right now wich Erem model i got from Dave earlier... but he totally changed my lead snipping way of life! ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 10, 2015, 03:13:53 AM
I can't recall right now wich Erem model i got from Dave earlier... but he totally changed my lead snipping way of life! ;D

It was a 2422e
Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on February 10, 2015, 03:16:18 AM

It was a 2422e

Great, i don't have them handy right now... in my rent room for work..... :P

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 10, 2015, 03:20:14 AM

It was a 2422e

You need one for every room.....
Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on February 10, 2015, 03:24:00 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on February 10, 2015, 03:20:14 AM

It was a 2422e

You need one for every room.....

Obviously...

chromesphere

Quote from: pickdropper on February 10, 2015, 03:12:05 AM
Quote from: chromesphere on February 10, 2015, 02:58:34 AM

Personally, I think the 2411 are too long.  I have them at work and they aren't my preference.  I prefer the 542.  They are shorter, but are better for fine work (which is what the Erem pliers are made for anyway).  If you use pliers to work with a lot of harder materials then I would recommend a different brand.  Also, the Erem pliers have a limited jaw width.  They say it's for ergonomic reasons, but I find it gets in the way at times.  I like mine, but they don't work for all of my plier needs.

Well you were spot on with the 2422e's Dave!  I was actually leaning more toward the 2442's.  I really like the grip on the 2422's so was hoping to get a 'magicsense' branded Erem plier even with the limited jaw opening (might regret that later on).   

Anyway, wont happen till towards the end of the month so got some time to think about it.  I'll probably hang onto my rubbish pliers for rough work as well.  I was going to throw out my old side cutters but thought I should hang onto them for the same reason.  What will I use to cut my toe nails? :D

selfdestroyer

Dave's addiction rubbed off on my also. I now own 3 Erem products ... so far.

They ARE the bees knees.

Cody

TGP39

Just joined the Erem club.... Is there a secret handshake?  ;D

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

pickdropper

Quote from: TGP39 on February 10, 2015, 04:39:38 AM
Just joined the Erem club.... Is there a secret handshake?  ;D

Steve.

Everybody is holding side cutters, so I would avoid handshakes if at all possible.
Function f(x)

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

One thing i really like to use my new cutters for is SMT transistors in the plastic reel packaging.  Cuts really sharp and doesnt cause the clear tape to lift.

(as in this stuff)
)