News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Testing my Canon Eos 550D for recording

Started by micromegas, February 10, 2015, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

Sorry for all the mistakes and everything (that bending at 1:14... my timing...), I was just noodling... but the sound is actually pretty good I think.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/ad-n-l-benito-temprano/testing-canon-eos-550d-recording-capabilities[/soundcloud]

The chain goes like this:
G&L Legacy -> DOD FX-17 (working but needs adjustment) -> DIY NOC3 Firefly -> Eventide Timeline (looper) -> 1776 Rub-A-Dub Reverb -> Mesa Boogie Mark III (Volumen on 4, Master on 1  ;D).

I wanted to record the loop idea just as a reminder and this came  up.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

m-Kresol

For a normal camera microphone this is pretty good. :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

slimtriggers

I liked that.  The backing track was a bit busy for me, but the leads were really cool!

I recently did a quick demo with my EOS-M that sounded pretty decent for just the camera mic.  Unfortunately it was out of focus  :-[ 

Have you installed Magic Lantern?  I tried it, but ended up uninstalling it. 

culturejam

The mics in the Rebels are pretty decent. One thing you might check out if you haven't is to turn off the automatic level control and set the level manually. The downside to almost all of the Canon SLRs is that they don't have a headphone jack to monitor audio, so you have to trust the visual level indicator. But I've had good luck with it.

I'm not sure if you can turn off the ALC on the 550D. It might have just been on the 600D and forward.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

I found sync'ing my handycam video to my Focusrite line in audio to be a bit of a sod, but that was probably chiefly due to Lightworks' unfriendly UI.

I'd consider it, though. Either guitar straight in through a cab sim, or a SM58 or similar plugged into a Scarlett Focusrite or something.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 10, 2015, 09:34:39 PM
For a normal camera microphone this is pretty good. :)
That's what I thought! I'll try record something a little better in a near future.

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 11, 2015, 12:57:56 AM
I liked that.  The backing track was a bit busy for me, but the leads were really cool!

I recently did a quick demo with my EOS-M that sounded pretty decent for just the camera mic.  Unfortunately it was out of focus  :-[ 

Have you installed Magic Lantern?  I tried it, but ended up uninstalling it. 
The loop was some tweaking with Eventide Looper's speeds, but yeah, it gets annoying after a while XD.
I haven't tried Magic Lantern yet, but I will, it opens some possibilities. The problem is that I share that camera with the rest of the family, so I'll have to convince them at least.

Quote from: culturejam on February 11, 2015, 02:13:59 AM
The mics in the Rebels are pretty decent. One thing you might check out if you haven't is to turn off the automatic level control and set the level manually. The downside to almost all of the Canon SLRs is that they don't have a headphone jack to monitor audio, so you have to trust the visual level indicator. But I've had good luck with it.

I'm not sure if you can turn off the ALC on the 550D. It might have just been on the 600D and forward.
I will look after it, it was late and I only played the video without even looking at the actual settings  ::). Yep, the lack of headphone output is a pity, but, for what I want it, visual indicator is enough.

Quote from: alanp on February 11, 2015, 05:09:17 AM
I found sync'ing my handycam video to my Focusrite line in audio to be a bit of a sod, but that was probably chiefly due to Lightworks' unfriendly UI.

I'd consider it, though. Either guitar straight in through a cab sim, or a SM58 or similar plugged into a Scarlett Focusrite or something.
I don't have an audio interface yet... but the cab sim solution seems an easy way to go. A friend and I have been experimenting with capturing impulse responses with matlab to run our pedals through it and it actually works better than simulation programs like Bias, etc. The lack of tweakability is the problem though, but we are working on a solution, it doesn't have to be that hard.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io