News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Monster

Started by bcalla, January 31, 2015, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcalla

I finally finished (sort of) my Fuzz Monster using Digi2T's PCB (from DIYSB).  I say 'sort of' because it turns out that the only 12v AC adapter I have has a 2.5mm plug and my jack is 2.1mm.  I can fire it up, but any vibration causes the connection to go intermittent.  So I may be ordering some 2.5mm jacks and swapping this one out.

This build was a challenge to lay out in the enclosure.  It is designed with 9mm board mounted pots and board-mounted jacks (in/out & power).  I immediately decided against board mounting the power jack because I didn't want to deal with cutting a square hole in the side.  I already had to cut a square opening in the top and I figured that was enough stress.  Also, if anyone is capable of installing this board in the enclosure with board mounted in/out jacks, I bow down before you in reverence and awe.  That was a 3D puzzle I just was not able to solve.  I mounted them on the board but eventually gave up and popped them off.

That said, I'm happy with how it came out.  It sounded good on a bench test, but I'm not going to try it through my rig until I get the power situation squared away.

I made the tube port by using a step drill bit to drill a 3/4" hole at either end then cutting the sides with my Dremel using metal cutting wheels.  I clamped the enclosure to my bench with a metal straight edge lined up as a guide.  That turned out to be a little less difficult than I expected. 

I highly recommend using the optional tube LED.  Otherwise it's not obvious why there's a gaping hole in the top of the enclosure.  ???

Also, the decal is actually straight across the top - that white bent line is the reflection of a fluorescent light in the Envirotex.

selfdestroyer

That came out great. I was gifted one of these from Timbo and have it half populated. I would love to hear your thoughts on how it sounds and what you would compare it to. I also agree with the DC jack choice and may do the same.

Cody

GrindCustoms

Very impressive built!

For the board mounted AC jack, you could always use those that sit flat with the edge of board and drill a tad oversized round hole so the AC plug fits in without touching the enclosure, like MXR and other brands does.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

m-Kresol

I love that you put a decal on the back as well! really gives it the pro look
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

TGP39

I'm just beginning my own tube pedal build so this is really inspiring. Thank you for sharing. Btw.....the tube opening you cut out looks so professional.  Love it.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

cooder

Amazing build indeed! Cool stuff, superbly done inside out! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

bcalla

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 31, 2015, 10:17:13 PM
That came out great. I was gifted one of these from Timbo and have it half populated. I would love to hear your thoughts on how it sounds and what you would compare it to. I also agree with the DC jack choice and may do the same.

Cody
I only did a bench test for a few minutes so at this point my feedback is limited.  I have one other working fuzz - a Guitar PCP Industrial Fuzz - and that one is a wild beast.  The fuzz monster is more controlled, and it seemed to respond well to Hi / Low adjustments.  Note - don't copy my graphic on those knobs.  I noticed when testing that I labeled them backwards.   :-[

I just ordered a couple 2.5mm to 2.1mm adapters on eBay so I am going to keep both the panel mounted power jack and the AC adapter.  I should have them in a couple weeks so I can then do a real test.  I'll try to struggle through recording a demo.

fendman

Nice to see this board built up...I got  2 of them in Sept 2014, from DT  and  they are still in the packaging does'nt the time fly!!! Hope you can supply a demo..would be good to hear how it sounds. Have you tried it with different  tubes???

Cheers
Mike

Hogharry

I really like the labeling, it has a great retro look. The numbers around the knobs work very well. The tube slot turned out well and the grill suggests that there's something truly dangerous inside.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

luks999

not just a great looking build, also very inspiring :)
how about a demo ?
where did you order the pcb?

bcalla

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Quote from: fendman on February 01, 2015, 10:40:41 PM
Hope you can supply a demo..would be good to hear how it sounds. Have you tried it with different  tubes???

I'll do a demo once I get the power supply situation straightened out.  Probably another week or 2.

I actually didn't own any tubes that weren't already in amps, so I bought one when I ordered components.  So no, I didn't try any others.

Quote from: luks999 on February 02, 2015, 06:20:12 PM
where did you order the pcb?

Digi2T did a group buy 5-6 months ago on DIYSB and FSB.  There's a thread at FSB asking him if he has any more.  He hasn't responded yet.

juansolo

Tooobs make everything more awesome.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk