News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

geen bean help

Started by THE SVT, January 27, 2015, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE SVT

OK... I noticed on the on/on switch portion of the PCB there is a square solder point, But I notice no positive or negative emblems on the switch itself.. So I am guessing either way works? Also, I am starting to use 3pdt PCB boards on all my builds as well to save a shit ton of time, Does it matter which way those go in as well?

Second question- My POT'S do not have long enough leads to reach the board directly, What are some professional looking methods to wire these up as well? are there POT'S out there that have long enough leads to reach the pcb? If so where can I purchase them.

Also, I purchased some pre wired bezel LED'S from "bitcheslovemyswitches.com" and they already have resistors built in.. The issue being, The 3pdt pcb has a slot for an LED resistor and I am guessing that it wont complete the circuit unless I bridge something there?

Thanks for your time!

playpunk

Hey:

You want 16mm 90 degree board mounted pots. (http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pc-mount-right-angle-2/)

It doesn't matter how your SPDT is oriented, just stick it in there.

3pdt orientation does matter. Check out the Madbean standard wiring diagram, or google it. Your lugs should all be horizontally oriented, if it's a solder lug 3pdt.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

mgwhit

Quote from: THE SVT on January 27, 2015, 08:36:56 PM
OK... I noticed on the on/on switch portion of the PCB there is a square solder point, But I notice no positive or negative emblems on the switch itself.. So I am guessing either way works?

Yep.

Also, I am starting to use 3pdt PCB boards on all my builds as well to save a shit ton of time, Does it matter which way those go in as well?

As long as the solder lugs on your 3PDT are horizontal to the orientation of your PCB board you should be okay.  So you can rotate them 180 degrees and you're fine, but you can't rotate them 90 degrees.

Second question- My POT'S do not have long enough leads to reach the board directly, What are some professional looking methods to wire these up as well? are there POT'S out there that have long enough leads to reach the pcb? If so where can I purchase them.

Are your pots solder lug or PCB mount and you just didn't use the drilling template?  If they're solder lug and you just need to reach the mounting holes on the PCB right above their respective lugs, I recommend using solid core wire or component leads to extend the lugs. Three pots wired like that should hold the PCB just fine -- especially if you board-mounted the switches, too.

If you have PCB mount pots, the only way I can imagine the pins don't reach the PCB is if you didn't use the drilling template.  Some PCB-mount pots have small holes in the pins up close to the body that you could probably solder wire to.  I suppose you could drill holes in the pins, but that's not something I've ever tried.  You may need to provide photos or a datasheet if I'm way off here.

Also, I purchased some pre wired bezel LED'S from "bitcheslovemyswitches.com" and they already have resistors built in.. The issue being, The 3pdt pcb has a slot for an LED resistor and I am guessing that it wont complete the circuit unless I bridge something there?

Yeah, use a bit of component lead or even a small value resistor (100R?) there.  Good luck!

THE SVT

This is the best forum I have ever used.. Honestly, I have never had so many straight forward answers. It seems like any other forum I have ever used, There is always some condescending asshole that just says rude shit and apparently has more time than (all of us) lol

THANKS GUYS!

really appreciate the help

THE SVT

Quote from: playpunk on January 27, 2015, 09:06:01 PM
Hey:

You want 16mm 90 degree board mounted pots. (http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pc-mount-right-angle-2/)

It doesn't matter how your SPDT is oriented, just stick it in there.

Ok, There are options for types to order. ( audio/linear/reverse audio/ TS TONE)  WHICH?

3pdt orientation does matter. Check out the Madbean standard wiring diagram, or google it. Your lugs should all be horizontally oriented, if it's a solder lug 3pdt.

THE SVT

Ok, There are options for types to order. ( audio/linear/reverse audio/ TS TONE)  WHICH?

playpunk

"A" taper are logarithmic pots. "B" taper are linear, "W" taper are unique, but are wide taper pots.

You want a 500k A pot, a 100k B pot, and a 20kw pot. (I think, I just built this up last night so you'd think I'd remember... but check first!)

mgwhit

Quote from: THE SVT on January 27, 2015, 09:16:53 PM
There is always some condescending asshole that just says rude shit and apparently has more time than (all of us) lol

Man, I was trying to be condescending and rude.  I gotta step up my game....

Quote from: THE SVT on January 27, 2015, 09:26:27 PM

The Green Bean specifies the following pots: Drive 500kA, Tone 20kW and Volume 100kA.  An A at the end (or sometimes at the beginning, like A100K) means audio taper.  B similarly stands for linear taper and C is for reverse audio -- not that you need any of those for this project.  (I think there have been differences in these annotations historically and geographically, but that holds up for all the parts suppliers that we tend to use.)  W is the mysterious Tube Screamer tone control taper.  So you need a 500K Audio, a 100K Audio and a 20K "W" TS Tone.

THE SVT

Not even joking, about 10 sets of each value and they are exactly what I needed lol. except they are not pcb mount versions

THE SVT

Pedal size for this job?? Recommendations ?

playpunk

125b. It will make boxing easier. You can use the solder lug pots but you will have to wire each one separately

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rullywowr

Quote from: THE SVT on January 27, 2015, 11:25:37 PM
Not even joking, about 10 sets of each value and they are exactly what I needed lol. except they are not pcb mount versions

You can solder some bare thick wire to each pot to make these "solder" versions work in a pinch.  Thick legs from 1n4001 diodes or some thick wire work just fine.  Just solder some "legs" to each pot and then you can make use of the PCB mounting.  Of course, it's better to just get 16mm PCB mount pots from the get go, but there is no reason why you can't use what you have on hand.

Tayda Electronics has perhaps the best deal on 16mm PCB mount pots...fyi.  (I need to get some myself)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!