News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

QoBone Build

Started by uaarchitecto, January 26, 2015, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uaarchitecto

Hi,
I'm new to pedal building and I'm learning the ropes on a QoB. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I'm hanging in there. Almost done.
Question:
I am using the TL072 ICs for both channels.  Will these work?  I am using 1s1588 and 1N914 diodes on the different channels.  Any better/recommended options?
Another Question:
Any good tricks to prevent the bottom of the pots from touching the bottom of the circuit board?
Another Question:
Any good tricks to removing a momentary(ugh) pc mount 3DPT from a circuit board?  How do you know (visually) if a switch is latching or momentary? They should mark these things.

Thanks.

rullywowr

Welcome to the forum and the world of DIY pedal building!  Thanks for checking out my QoB PCB too!
http://www.rullywow.com/product/queen-of-bone-dual-overdrive-bare-pcb/

Quote from: uaarchitecto on January 26, 2015, 04:33:58 PM
I am using the TL072 ICs for both channels.  Will these work?  I am using 1s1588 and 1N914 diodes on the different channels.  Any better/recommended options?
TL072 for both channels will work fine.  You can also substitute other dual op amps such as RC4558 and NE5532, OPA2134 and more...The diodes you chose there are great and will work just fine.  Each diode imparts a "flavor" on the clipping and impacts the sound more than the opamp (in my opinion).  You may want to use SIP sockets for the diodes to easily swap out different types for different sounds.

Another Question:
Any good tricks to prevent the bottom of the pots from touching the bottom of the circuit board?
The pot covers that Smallbear sells are great.  http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/dust-cover-for-16mm-alpha-pots/In place of them you can use double sided foam tape or even electrical tape to prevent shorts.

Another Question:
Any good tricks to removing a momentary(ugh) pc mount 3DPT from a circuit board?  How do you know (visually) if a switch is latching or momentary? They should mark these things.
That is a tricky one.  With enough patience and a solder sucker "tool" you may be able to remove it without damage.  Also, some desoldering braid can assist here.  To see if a switch is "latching" or momentary, the best way is to test it with a DMM.  Although most momentarys do not "click" there are some exceptions so testing continuity with a DMM is the safest way to go.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

m-Kresol

Thanks.

Welcome as well!
For your 3PDT problem... I had the same problem as I soldered one in 90° turned. desoldering braid and a solder sucker won't do the trick. I tried. My university's electronic technician gave my the following advice, which worked well. Cover the whole 9 pins in one big blob of solder (you need to ramp up your temp for that). When everything is covered and molten, pull the switch out carefully. Wear some protection on your hand (the one pulling the switch) or use pliers, as the liquid Sn can seriously burn you.
Good luck and have fun in the DIY scene. We sure do!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials