News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Judge - now with racing stripe

Started by jubal81, January 20, 2015, 04:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

I am really jealous of that etch... if only I could get mines that clean.

Have to put my hands on one of those Judge Pcbs, I was designing an etchable single side  layout of my own for the single pot version when the new was released.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

juansolo

Quote from: jubal81 on January 20, 2015, 04:11:50 PMAs for the cap, when I first fired it up on the test rig, I thought it could use a bit more treble (of course since I'm a treble junkie), but yesterday I was running it with the tone knob pretty low, so I think I might have overreacted on that one.

More treble! :o  The hi cut is only there because we thought it could get pretty bright on more extreme settings.  Impressive sir!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2015, 11:44:10 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on January 20, 2015, 04:11:50 PMAs for the cap, when I first fired it up on the test rig, I thought it could use a bit more treble (of course since I'm a treble junkie), but yesterday I was running it with the tone knob pretty low, so I think I might have overreacted on that one.

More treble! :o  The hi cut is only there because we thought it could get pretty bright on more extreme settings.  Impressive sir!

Ha, Indeed! I'm thinking maybe that day I had some really dead strings and an ear infection ...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

Quote from: jubal81 on January 21, 2015, 12:20:26 AM
Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2015, 11:44:10 PM

Ha, Indeed! I'm thinking maybe that day I had some really dead strings and an ear infection ...
It is surprising what a new set of strings can do to your tone. I've always used Elixir Nanoweb or Rotosound strings, but this christmas, my gf got me a set of D'Addario NYXLs (yep, she actually hears/understands me when I talk about gear...) and my overall tone suffered an immediate midrange boost

jubal81

Quote from: micromegas on January 21, 2015, 12:27:53 AM
It is surprising what a new set of strings can do to your tone. I've always used Elixir Nanoweb or Rotosound strings, but this christmas, my gf got me a set of D'Addario NYXLs (yep, she actually hears/understands me when I talk about gear...) and my overall tone suffered an immediate midrange boost

It's something I always tell myself to consider and then always forget. I need to hang a framed sign behind my amp:
"Stop. How old are your stings?"

Speaking of which, I need to try the NYXLs. My big pack of strings is almost gone and I'm itching to experiment a bit. Tempted to try all-nickel, which I've never done before.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

Quote from: jubal81 on January 21, 2015, 12:52:34 AM
Quote from: micromegas on January 21, 2015, 12:27:53 AM

It's something I always tell myself to consider and then always forget. I need to hang a framed sign behind my amp:

I read somewhere that Tommy Bolin used the same string set for more than 3 years...

EDIT: ok, here it is:
Ritchie Blackmore about Tommy Bolin's guitar strings:
"When I heard that Purple hired him I thought it was great. He was always so humble. I remember he would always invite me out to his house in Hollywood to see his guitar. One day I went to his place. I walked in and tried to find him, but no one was around. There was no furnishings - nothing. I stayed there for ten minutes before he finally appeared. He showed me his guitar, and the strings must have had a quarter-inch of grime on them, as though he hadn't changed them in four years. I asked him when was the last time he'd changed strings, and he said very seriously, "Gee, I don't know. Do you think I should change them?"
"I originally heard Bolin on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" album, and thought, "Who is this guy?" Then I saw him on television and he looked incredible - like Elvis Presley. I knew he was gonna be big."
(Guitar World, February 1991, by Mordechai Kleidermacher)

playpunk

Nyxl's are awesome.... Worth the bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

juansolo

Big fan of D'addario EXLs if you like the coated stuff.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

Gonna have to make one of these superjudges - getting a lot of good rep.

QuoteIt's something I always tell myself to consider and then always forget. I need to hang a framed sign behind my amp:

I only change mine when they break, as a general rule.  Been using Diaddario XLs pretty much since forever (or 1987 in my case).