News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NMD

Started by Leevibe, January 19, 2015, 07:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I actually got this a couple weeks ago. It was a gift from my mom. The brand is "Lakeside" and from what I can tell, it was a lower end of Lyon and Healy. It also seems that they stopped making bowl back mandolins in about 1915.

I think it's pretty cool that it's so old. It's beautiful and decently playable. It badly needs a restring, but it does tune up. Tuning machines aren't the best, but they all work. I've used much worse. I hate the thought of replacing them because they look so cool. The fretboard and frets show zero wear and the top is nice and flat.

The back seems to be mahogany and rosewood. Honduras and Brazilian? Of course!! (Who knows?) I love the look of the back. I also love that the pickguard is inlaid into the top. Neato.

RobA

That's very cool! It would be really unfortunate to have to change the tuners. It looks perfect the way it is.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

Maybe all the tuners need is a good cleaning and some lube. Where's Dan Erlwine when you need him?

Very very nice, have a blast with that!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Yes what a cool instrument and in great nick! Those tuners want some TLC and then they could be just sweet...! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Stomptown

blearyeyes

I agree with the others about the tuners. Clean them up, new strings and polish that baby up... Very nice! Fun times!