News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Couple of Green Bean Questions on Wiring

Started by mherrera3626, January 16, 2015, 04:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mherrera3626

So I built the Green Bean as a first Project, and it works!! (mostly) I have two problems though...

I'm using the current document for the project. I have the LED hooked up using the LED pads but it stays on all the time. Do I need to hook it up to the 3pdt as well?

Also, the Sym/A-Sym switch only works one way. When I have the switch to the right it sounds awesome. When I flip it to the left the volume takes a nosedive and if I crank up the volume it sounds very weak (hardly overdriven). What's up with that?

TGP39

How exactly do you have your led hooked up? Where is the anode and cathode placed? Remember the 3pdt is the on/off switch for the circuit. If it's not hooked up to the 3pdt, it's not going to go on/off.  I'll have to look further into your other problem though. A pcb board photo would be helpful.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

mgwhit

Quote from: mherrera3626 on January 16, 2015, 04:21:28 PM
I'm using the current document for the project. I have the LED hooked up using the LED pads but it stays on all the time. Do I need to hook it up to the 3pdt as well?

There are no LED pads on the current Green Bean board, but there is an LED pad (singular) right next to a ground pad.  If you connected the LED to both of these pads, it will stay on all the time like you described.  You need to connect the anode of the LED to the LED pad on the board and the cathode of the LED to a point on the 3PDT footswitch that will only connect to ground when the effect is active.

Check out the Standard Wiring Diagram.  You won't need to wire the anode off-board like the diagram because the Green Bean board provides the power and the CLR, but the cathode connection to the 3PDT is what you need.

mgwhit

Quote from: mherrera3626 on January 16, 2015, 04:21:28 PM
Also, the Sym/A-Sym switch only works one way. When I have the switch to the right it sounds awesome. When I flip it to the left the volume takes a nosedive and if I crank up the volume it sounds very weak (hardly overdriven). What's up with that?

If one of your diodes has shorted, it would kill all the gain (and clipping) in that op amp stage.  Did you test them before you installed them?

To test them in circuit, remove power from your board and set your multimeter to diode test.  Because of how they are arranged anti-parallel you should get a forward reading across each diode no matter which lead you connect where.  If you get continuity across them, you've found your problem.  Good luck!

mherrera3626

I'll have to take some time to test the diodes during the week. I work at a church so my weekends are crazy. I did, however, make this crummy wiring diagram. I did hook it up using the G pad for the negative leg of the LED. I tried to make it true bypass wiring and didn't know where to put the LED leg other than to use the ground on the board.

What changes should I make? Also, what goes in the ground pad on the board if the LED doesn't?

playpunk

Go to the projects page and print the standard wiring diagram. Your led won't go off when the pedal is off because it's always grounded. You should have the  short leg of your led to one lug of the 3pdt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk