News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Week3nd project: Just a little guy

Started by madbean, January 19, 2015, 02:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

This is an overdrive I designed specifically for the Hammond 1550P. This enclosure is smaller, but much wider than the 1590A. The advantage over the 1590A is you have space (in theory) for top mounted jacks. So, the idea is that a few of these side by side would work really well on a PT Nano or similar.

But, there are a few issues. The PCB design had a break-off board for the pots. This proved unusable because the jack tips came into contact with a few of the solder joints. If I had drilled slightly lower for the pots it would have been okay. Secondly, I ended up having to file part of the lip on the lid to prevent contact with the tabs on top of the jacks which were causing a short. This could be overcome by just heat shrinking the tabs. Lastly, the lugs on the 3PDT are about 1/2mm over the bottom edge of the enclosure. I got around this by using a bit of velcro on the lid to prevent shorts.

I'd like to get these issues worked out because I have 5 or 6 different designs for the 1550P. I think it just needs more careful planning but if they were just 1/2" taller it would be so much easier. Anyway, the OD sounds pretty great. It's IC-based, output buffer, active tone control. Simple but very complimentary. Plus with over-sized knobs it's cute as all hell.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

brejna

I like how it looks with this "big" knobs.. How does it sounds? TS style or?

madbean

Quote from: brejna on January 19, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
I like how it looks with this "big" knobs.. How does it sounds? TS style or?

It is in the TS family but better, IMO. I like it more without the input buffer. There are a few other differences.

jubal81

That is pretty genius. Dig it!
The 'mini' 3PDT I've been using take up less vertical space. Maybe switch mount one PCB and ribbon wire to a Pots PCB?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

heh, that is cute.

+1 on the low profile 3PDTs. BLMS carries them. Or alpha 2PDTs and on-board millenium bypass -- they're even smaller.

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

G.G.

that is a super-cool idea, really looking forward to these. Kinda reminds me of these short vans that were popular back in the day.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

Very cool Brian. I have never seen those enclosures before. Looks like a fun project.

Cody

madbean

So far I have the OD, a compressor, delay, tremolo, and chorus designed for this enclosure (all different than the existing MBP projects). I think a phaser and envelope filter would round it out nicely. And, of course, I had to try to put a Klon in it, too. That was a tight squeeze.

Anyway, just something to work on in downtime. Not doing a big push on these ATM, but a few proto boards might show up as giveaways in the near future.

playpunk

So cool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk