News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current lover: working, but how to bias without distortion?

Started by Luy_901, January 03, 2015, 01:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luy_901

Hi, i'm new and i'm from italy, so excuse me if my english is not perfect.
I've just finished a Current Lover build, get it working but i'm having some trouble to bias it.
i'm feeding it with 15v stabilized and filtered, and i can hear some strange sounds that go on with the flange, maybe a whistle at the upper side of the sweep, it increase when i turn clockwise the range pot.
And i'm hearing a distorted sound when i've my bias pot at circa 1-2 o clock...
So, some hint to help me?
Thanks to everyone.
Luigi

Scruffie

Whistling sounds like your clock setting could be off, bias, try jumpering/shorting the 82k resistor off the bias pot... how exactly are you achieving the 15V? A charge pump? Could be heterodyning issues, try cleaning up your wiring and moving the charge pump away from the board if so.

When in doubt, post full voltages.
Works at Lectric-FX

Luy_901

i've solved the problem with wistles and strange sounds... it was the charge pump of the effect placed in front of the mistress... the mini deja vibe... putting it before the mdv all the whistles are gone. it was so simple... even the distortion is gone with a good setting of the clock pot. the only thing is that the effect with the rate all the way up introduces a bit of hiss, in the upper swing range... i've used a 33nf for input cap, 'cause i didn't find the 39nf, wich is the correct value. what effect it can have on the sound?
the power supply is a diy ps with lm317 , well filtered and stabilized.
thx

Luy_901

can you help me getting rid of this stupid hiss?!?!?
is a hiss that comes from the pedal, with the range pot from 9 o clock to maximum.
what it can be? the mn3007? the 4558d? i would try to swap the 4558 with a tl072 to see if reduces the hiss... what are your opinions? thanks

Scruffie

Sounds like your clock may be set too low, try adjusting the trim.
Works at Lectric-FX

Luy_901

but my clock trim is actually near full counter clockwise position... if i turn it clockwise, it increases the hiss...

Scruffie

Use a smaller clock cap value... really you need a frequency counter to set the clock properly.
Works at Lectric-FX

Luy_901

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

Luy_901

Luy_901

I tried 15pf and 10pf, the hiss is still there... Maybe is reduced a little bit, but is still there.
What can i do?

Scruffie

Right, are you using a charge pump to get the 15V to power this?

Post full voltages of the circuit.

Build an audio probe and follow the audio path to see where the noise is introduced.
Works at Lectric-FX

Luy_901

No i m powering it up with a stabilized and filtered power supply... Maybe i will try the probe, and posting the voltages