News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baby board resistor-fitting question

Started by tatou, December 30, 2014, 11:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatou

A while back I picked up some baby boards and am really excited to start building them. However, as soon as I started trying to mount the resistors I have on hand, I noticed this:

It looks like too tight a squeeze, and in a few spots I'm not sure I can clear adjacent rows without shorting something out. I'm pretty sure I'm not using oversized resistors, and I didn't see anything in the build guide about needing to use special small ones.

Any advice from experienced baby board builders?
machines, music, and mischief. i run FAWM at https://fawm.org

stevie1556

The baby boards use 1/8W resistors, but normally we use 1/4W resistors which are too big. Stick them in so they are at a 45' angle to the board and you should be fine. That's what I've done with mine, and you can then use the smaller resistors on normal boards too.

cranberry3

The baby board build guide does specify 1/8W resistors on the page about "Component Guidelines." The smaller resistors are kind of a bitch to deal with, but they will fit quite snuggly.

tatou

Ah, I see. @stevie1556, are you saying that it is possible to get larger 1/4w resistors to work if you squeeze them in at an angle?
machines, music, and mischief. i run FAWM at https://fawm.org

RobA

Quote from: tatou on December 30, 2014, 11:57:06 PM
Ah, I see. @stevie1556, are you saying that it is possible to get larger 1/4w resistors to work if you squeeze them in at an angle?
I've built several of the baby boards using only 1/4W resistors at an angle. The resistors will fit at an angle for sure. It's kinda like doing them half way between the normal flat position and the standup way of doing resistors. But, you should probably check that the board you are doing will still fit into a 1590A if you want to actually put it in a 1590A box. There isn't much room to play with in those 1590A builds. The boards I built this way I've put in bigger enclosures in multi-builds. So I had lots more depth to work with.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

pickdropper

Quote from: RobA on December 31, 2014, 04:53:11 AM
Quote from: tatou on December 30, 2014, 11:57:06 PM
I've built several of the baby boards using only 1/4W resistors at an angle. The resistors will fit at an angle for sure. It's kinda like doing them half way between the normal flat position and the standup way of doing resistors. But, you should probably check that the board you are doing will still fit into a 1590A if you want to actually put it in a 1590A box. There isn't much room to play with in those 1590A builds. The boards I built this way I've put in bigger enclosures in multi-builds. So I had lots more depth to work with.

That's good advice. 

I keep a good stock of 1/8W resistors on hand, but I've used 1/4W a few times in a pinch.  An easy way to check if it will fit is to dry fit a couple of the caps that are closest on the PCB.  Usually, the caps are still taller than the tilted resistor, which means that the resistor will never be allowed to hit the bottom plate in the enclosure.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper