News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

swapping capacitors

Started by billstein, December 30, 2014, 12:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Hi all. Trying to get back into the madness after a heavy schedule and a bit of burn out.

I'm attempting my first 1590a and don't have any low profile 1uF electrolytics. Can I swap out a mlcc or tantalum for these? What about the 47uf electro's?

I remember a thread talking about this but I can't find it.

Thanks all
Bill

billstein

playpunk

What about 1uf mlcc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

RobA

Quote from: billstein on December 30, 2014, 12:22:55 AM
Hi all. Trying to get back into the madness after a heavy schedule and a bit of burn out.

I'm attempting my first 1590a and don't have any low profile 1uF electrolytics. Can I swap out a mlcc or tantalum for these? What about the 47uf electro's?

I remember a thread talking about this but I can't find it.

Thanks all
Bill
It depends on what the circuit is, but for the most part, you can get away with using a good ceramic cap. At 1µF you can't get C0G but you can at least get some with decent specs. Depending on how much space you have, WIMA makes some pretty large valued film caps in a 2.5mm spacing. With tantalum, you need to be even more careful where you use them. Which one you choose to go with really can depend on how they are used.

Mouser had some of the 47µF electros that are linked in the Baby Board Build doc the last time I checked.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).