News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boostless Boneyard

Started by junkemail86, April 19, 2011, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

Hi,
I'm about to start building the Boneyard, but I have enough standalone boost pedals (thanks Madbean!), so I want to build it without the final boost section.  Can I just take the output from the Volume pot lug like in a typical pedal and leave off R8-R11 and C8-C9?  I don't really know if the LF347 needs something connected to pins 8 and 9.

Thanks!

madbean

I would not do it that way. The stuff after the volume pot still plays a part in the the tone (and output impedance). Do this instead: leave off the Boost pot and jumper pads 1 and 3 on SW2.

junkemail86

TheCobbenator

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out! (Hey, new to the forum!)

Anyway -- I used to use a plexitone a few years back as my main drive/boost/distortion and still regret parting with it.  I was very excited to see when you posted the PCB for the Boneyard, but had the same dilemma about not wanting the boost section.

Also, I am a semi-n00b to this whole world, but was wondering if there would be a way to wire the Boneyard as a single 3pdt with a toggle for the low gain/hi gain like in the PDF, but also to use a 2-color LED? i.e. red for hi-gain, yellow for low-gain

Could this be achieved by using a different toggle switch/etc?

Would this allow me to use a smaller enclosure? probably not... just a thought.

I should say that I have built a Grapevine and Cupcake (and absolutely love them.)  I have since removed my TS808 and OCD from my pedalboard in hopes of having a bigger, all-homemade board.

Sorry for the book. Just excited! ;D

junkemail86

For those interested in a boostless Boneyard, Madbean's advice worked great.  I can get high gain sounds without a switchable volume boost (although the pedal does have a huge amount of volume available even without the separate boost section).  I also built mine without the "crunch" knob because I knew I'd be using this pedal for mainly medium to high gain situations and wanted to get it into a fairly small enclosure.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: junkemail86 on May 12, 2011, 07:00:39 PM
For those interested in a boostless Boneyard, Madbean's advice worked great.  I can get high gain sounds without a switchable volume boost (although the pedal does have a huge amount of volume available even without the separate boost section).  I also built mine without the "crunch" knob because I knew I'd be using this pedal for mainly medium to high gain situations and wanted to get it into a fairly small enclosure.
You gotta post your completed build!! With gut shots and glory!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TheCobbenator

Great to know! Especially since I ordered everything for mine last week. Can't wait to get it going!

Congrats! post pics asap!
Sound clips would be great too!

redbean

Quote from: TheCobbenator on April 27, 2011, 03:18:10 AM
Awesome! Let us know how it turns out! (Hey, new to the forum!)

Also, I am a semi-n00b to this whole world, but was wondering if there would be a way to wire the Boneyard as a single 3pdt with a toggle for the low gain/hi gain like in the PDF, but also to use a 2-color LED? i.e. red for hi-gain, yellow for low-gain

Could this be achieved by using a different toggle switch/etc?

I bought this double pole (on/on) SPDT in order to do the same thing (also, red and orange LEDs ;)):
http://ca.mouser.com:80/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-1MS1T2B3M2QE-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-1MS1T2B3M2QE-EVX

I hope this was the right switch to buy for using two LEDs... I'll certainly find out when I plug it in.  :D
es là-bas!!

junkemail86

Quote from: TheCobbenator on May 15, 2011, 01:25:07 AM
Great to know! Especially since I ordered everything for mine last week. Can't wait to get it going!

Congrats! post pics asap!
Sound clips would be great too!

Here ya go!  I'm not really a clean builder, but they have gotten a bit cleaner since I started using intercom wire for pots (I just use the Radioshack one, the wire is a bit fragile but has worked fine so far)

Guts

Not quite finished enclosure (I usually just use plastic Radioshack project boxes like this because they are easy to work with)

junkemail86

QuoteI bought this double pole (on/on) SPDT in order to do the same thing (also, red and orange LEDs ;)):
http://ca.mouser.com:80/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=108-1MS1T2B3M2QE-EVXvirtualkey12040000virtualkey108-1MS1T2B3M2QE-EVX

As far as I can tell, that switch should work.  Good luck!

TheCobbenator

Hey gang!

Can I use a dpdt footswitch for the boost in place of the 3pdt in the diagram? I'm pretty sure this works in the deadringer...

k.rock!

Quote from: TheCobbenator on May 25, 2011, 06:19:56 AM
Hey gang!

Can I use a dpdt footswitch for the boost in place of the 3pdt in the diagram? I'm pretty sure this works in the deadringer...

Yes sir :)
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com