News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powering (or UNpowering) your pedal board

Started by das234, December 22, 2014, 07:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

Just wondering.  How do you guys provide power to your pedal boards and how do you turn off the power when you're not using it?  Or do you just leave the power on 24-7?  I've got a Voodoo PP which provides lovely power but there is no switch to turn off the power when I'm done.

mgwhit

Call me crazy, but I unplug it.  ;)

Actually I really hit a switch on the power strip/surge protector that my power supply plugs into.  Same difference.

mremic01

Quote from: mgwhit on December 22, 2014, 07:56:52 PM
Call me crazy, but I unplug it.  ;)

Actually I really hit a switch on the power strip/surge protector that my power supply plugs into.  Same difference.

This.

I don't want to pay the few extra cents worth of electricity that the power supplies soak up just by being plugged in. Everything goes into a power strip. That strip is plugged into a second strip that's a bit easier to get to and it's sole purpose to serve as an on/off switch for the other one. It's also a second level of surge protection for my gear.

selfdestroyer

I just use a powerstrip and power off at the powerstrip.

Cody

GermanCdn

+1 for the powerstrip group.  I also have my entire build desk on a powerstrip, not so much to save power, but to prevent the house from burning down when I leave my iron on all night. >:(
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

das234

I know. Stupid question.  I figured there were 3 camps (the unpluggers, the power strip togglers, and the leave-it-on-ers)  I was just wondering where people fell.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: das234 on December 22, 2014, 11:20:42 PM
I know. Stupid question.  I figured there were 3 camps (the unpluggers, the power strip togglers, and the leave-it-on-ers)  I was just wondering where people fell.

Not stupid at all, interesting I would say.

Cody

das234

Oh, and I forgot... the guys who walk over to the fuse box and unscrew the plug fuse to the pedal board circuit.  Probably not many of those guys around.

Droogie

I think "Power Strip Togglers" is my new band name!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

gordo

My old house had screw in fuses.  Surprisingly, they're still easy to find.  I just unplug the beast.  My power supply is the AMZ board (there's pics of it on Jack's website) and I'm not crazy about leaving the pedals powered up that long.  I only use the board every Sunday morning anyway, but power it down even though I don't have to break it down.  My stuff in the house is the same.  My workbench has a master power switch so if the lights are still on...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

What a weird thread. There are people who leave their pedal board power on 24/7  :o

My pedal boards only come out to play during rehearsals/gigs, so I guess that means I'm an unplugger. Although my onboard powerstrip that supplies power to all the power supplies/pedals does have an on/off switch. So I guess that means I'm also a power strip toggler.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

alanp

Unplugger. I keep thinking I need to buy a power strip with switches, but I'm far too cheap for that.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rumbletone

I just unplug it. Though most of my boards live in their cases when not at rehearsals/gigs. I typically unpack them at home only if I'm changing something up or doing some heavy programming.

Willybomb

My SLOPPY runs off mains and has a 240v switch as a result - so it gets turned off at the board.