News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Band of Gypsys Fuzz?

Started by nimane9, January 18, 2015, 05:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nimane9

Hey all,

I was looking at some Dunlop videos, and I saw the Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face. I really liked the sound, and they say that the way they made it is with an Octavia without the octave, just the fuzz. Do you guys think I'd be able to remove the octave circuit from the Mad Bean octavia board? And if so, how?

Thanks.

selfdestroyer

Take a look at this:
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/octavia.php

Looks like its a lift of one of the 1N34A's.

Cody

RobA

There are two ways that I can interpret "without the octave." The first would be to cut out the entire output section after the output cap -- remove the transformer and diodes. The second would be to cut one leg of the path out of the output side of the transformer.

The Retrograde has a toggle that does the second of these two on the board already. The first could be done on the retrograde board too by jumping from pin 6 to pin 1 of the transformer holes and then jumping D1. You would leave off the transformer.

These two things would sound really different, so which one to do really depends on what was meant by "without the octave." You could actually mod the Retrograde to do both of these things if you wanted.

I do like the sound of the Retrograde board with the Octave toggle in the non-octave position. It's a nice fuzz.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).