News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Q2 for Snack Shack

Started by k.rock!, May 11, 2011, 10:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

Hey guys!

I'm completing a build for a fellow MadBeaner here and for Q2 he had sent me a 2N2222a...however, when the sound is not really fuzzy at all...sounds a bit clean and I have to turn the knob all the way up to get it "fuzzier"...

(In case you're thinking this, Yes it is installed correctly. It has the common E-B-C pinout which corresponds to the layout and I triple checked its polarity). The only suspicious thing I noticed was the voltage between the Base and Collector which read around .564V (a little low)

Anywho...the hFE for this one looks a little low as well (~100) so I think I might need a different option for Q2 possibly with a higher hFE rating?

What do you think might work best for this circuit? The build is pretty much stock everywhere except for Q2.

Thanks!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

5088, 3904, 5457, 5089...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

awesome! thanks Jacob! I'm assuming those are 2NXXXX right? (I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to transistors  :-X)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

Oh yeah. If there isn't a prefix included, usually people mean 2n for transistors and 1n for diodes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

Ah! Great to know! Thanks man

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Didn't realize 5457 was interchangable with the usual NPN transistors. Gonna have to try that.
3094--lower gain, I find them break up kinda harsh almost synthy.
5088/5089--both high gain but the 5088 are gonna be slightly less.
BC108/109c--also high gain like 5089 but I find the sound to be smoother. This is the classic silicon fuzz face tranny and colorsound used them.
You can also use the BC449/550 as an alternative. Maybe even Darlington transistors for really high gain!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

k.rock!

Awesome! Thanks man! Yeah in this case, Tez (the owner of the pedal) wants it to be real high gain, crazy "death fuzz" like he expressed to me earlier haha So maybe I should get something around the 500s hFE? Sounds like those Darlingtons may be what I need...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

FredGarvin

Try BC549C or BC547C. They're pretty gainy. Make sure they're C at the end, C hfe classification is anywhere between 420-800. I put them into my Big Muff's, killer.

cjkbug

3565's are my new faves for higher gain stuff.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: k.rock! on May 12, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
Awesome! Thanks man! Yeah in this case, Tez (the owner of the pedal) wants it to be real high gain, crazy "death fuzz" like he expressed to me earlier haha So maybe I should get something around the 500s hFE? Sounds like those Darlingtons may be what I need...

When you say death fuzz I think of Devi Ever's stuff.  :)
5089/BC109c are in the 500-650 hfe range. I more recently like BC109C because they have a much smoother gainy sound but they are more expensive. I've been seeing lots of people using those 2N3565 but I haven't gotten any yet. I'll have to get some to try.

Quote from: FredGarvin on May 17, 2011, 11:22:33 PM
Try BC549C or BC547C. They're pretty gainy. Make sure they're C at the end, C hfe classification is anywhere between 420-800. I put them into my Big Muff's, killer.

Those also sound very good in the silicon fuzz face circuit!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals