News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ID this resistor for me please

Started by mcallisterra, December 11, 2014, 09:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I usually check resistor values with this one site where you just punch in the colors and it tells you the value, because I'm not good at remembering all the codes. Anyway this one resistor isn't coming up with what I expected, so I think I got sent the wrong one. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what it is? Thanks!

m-Kresol

If it is BROWN-BLACK-BLUE-GOLD it should be 10M 5% tolerance. (Not sure whether the first ring is brown or red. If it's red it should be 20M)
No guarantee though

Do you have a multimeter? this would give you a definitive answer for sure.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mcallisterra

I don't have a multimeter no. That's why I was asking on here.

The first ring is brown so yes it's 10M. Which is annoying as it's supposed to be 3.9M!

Thanks for the quick help though!

televisiondown

"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

m-Kresol

Bad to hear. that value is way of your ordered 3M9.
Fyi, 3M9 would be orange-white-green-gold

maybe someone here can send you some. Where are you from?

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

muddyfox

I don't even read codes anymore. DMM every single resistor I solder, keeps stupid 2AM mistakes to a minimum (at least the resistor based ones  ;D ).

mcallisterra

m-Kresol

Darn. maybe someone more local can help out. it doesn't make sense to ship one resistor from Europe :P

I guess a resistance value that high is most likely for a pull down resistor, right? I think (let someone confirm this) that you could substitute it for a 2M or similar, if you have it...

mcallisterra

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 11, 2014, 09:45:50 PM
Darn. maybe someone more local can help out. it doesn't make sense to ship one resistor from Europe :P

I guess a resistance value that high is most likely for a pull down resistor, right? I think (let someone confirm this) that you could substitute it for a 2M or similar, if you have it...

I haven't really built many pedals, so I don't have a backlog of parts. I just order what I need for each build. This is for a Nom Nom.

bcalla

I have lots of 3.9M resistors - 1% metal film.  PM me your address and how many you need & I'll get some in the mail tomorrow.

mcallisterra

Quote from: bcalla on December 11, 2014, 09:58:20 PM
I have lots of 3.9M resistors - 1% metal film.  PM me your address and how many you need & I'll get some in the mail tomorrow.

Awesome! Thanks so much!  :)

alanp

Quote from: mcallisterra on December 11, 2014, 09:24:21 PM
I don't have a multimeter no. That's why I was asking on here.

I strongly recommend you pick one up as soon as you can, if only for resistance and continuity checking.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mcallisterra

This post kind of made me realize that yea!